New gameplay element: Life after Death!

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
BuBu

New gameplay element: Life after Death!

Post by BuBu »

:: LIFE after DEATH !!! ::

One of the easiest thing in this game is lose a unit and i think why note sugest this:

1º OPTION:

When a UNIT lose (get killed) get a little chance of auto-revive any unit.

LAWFULL units that didn't killed any unit and BE killed during the DAY with 10% of chance of become a ANGEL UNIT.

CHAOTIC units that killed more than 5 (FIVE) units and BE killed during the nigth with 20% of chance of become a UNDEAD UNIT (sugestion: walking corpose).

NEUTRAL units can do the same thing like LAWFULL and CHAOTIC units but with 2% (or 5%) of chance.

2º OPTION:

Be like a ABILITY (like iluminates, cure, skirmisher ...) called resuscitate or revive (or any other name you think is better!)

Exemple: a undead (walkink corpouse) unit during the nigth is defeat with no holy attack it can return back with full HP (or half). This ability is better to weak units that don't do strong attacks and units don't surpass lv 1 or 2.

Ex: SKELETONS defeaded without FIRE, HOLY OR IMPACT could return with half* HP during the night.

Ex: DRAKES defeaded with fire could revive with half* HP during the day.

Ex: MERMENS defeaded with ICE could revive with half* HP during the day.

* I want to mean that every time this unit get dead and revive it come back with half of the half of HP each time.

Ex: one unit with 20 hp get dead and return with 10 and get dead and return with 5 hp.

who is defeating this unit will obtain more experinece.

3º Option:

Now I've made a more solid and clear ideias that isn't based in lUCK and i think that the people will have a better appreciaton:

- It will work like a ABILITY, too, but will work in a necromancer (that already exits), summoner (it doesn't exist yet) and a priest (it doesn't exist yet).
- This units could call some KILLED (DEAD) units back with 1 (ONE) HP only in the same MAP.
- If someone finish the map won't be able to call back any DEAD unit in other map.
- The people will want to know how could call back the units. It's simple, the place in the leader can recruit units it will REVIVE units, too. When the SPECIAL unit takeS this place it WILL appear the option REVIVE (or other name you think that is better) like RECALL but withot any cost and only ONE dead unit per TURN.
- I think that the units that will use this ability should have lv.4 or lv.3 (i think lv.4 is better).

What units can do this and how?

- Necromancer: could call back only UNDEADS units that be defeated (not killed, because they are dead, heeheee...).
- Summoner: could call back (revive) any CHAOTIC unit.
- PRIEST: could call back (revive) any LAWFULL unit.
- THIS ONE IS OPICIONAL: ANY MAGE (select one mage that you judge that deserve this ability): could call back (revive) any NEUTRAL unit.

ABOUT SUMMONER AND PRIEST:

- I saw that is needing 1 more unit in the DARK MAGES (undeads) and 1 more in LIGHT MAGES (loyalists).
- I think this two units shouldn't have a strong attack, but be useful.
- In the case of the PRIEST should have a cure+10, but should be more weak than a ligth mage.
- In the case of the SUMMONER should have PLAGE in the attack with a meelee attack stronger than the NECROMANCER, but a weak ranged attack.

MY SUGESTION IS FLEXIBLE, IF YOU HAVE ONE BETTER IS BETTER... heehee ...

What do you think about this idea? Its possible to put in the game :?: :wink:

Adjusted the thread title --Baufo
Last edited by BuBu on July 9th, 2007, 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Hopefully a moderator will come along and remove your color, since color belongs to them. Anyway, units are hard enough to kill to worry about them coming back to life. If they come back with low HP, then it's like an emergency HP boost. If they come back with full life, then it's game over. Either way, this can already be done with WML. Using different probabilities based on time of day and alignment would be a minor pain, but still possible.

The second idea, which sounds like a unit that must die to level up, could be interesting. If you have to get enough XP and then die, well, it doesn't change the gameplay too much. In fact, dying is not too hard to do in this game, so I wonder what's the point of making the unit die to level up?
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

..huh..

Well, that would make Wesnoth way too luck based, I mean it's enough already imo. Guess you could do that in an addon, although I personally don't like the idea.
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Jetrel

Re: :: LIFE after DEATH !!! ::

Post by Jetrel »

BuBu wrote:Its possible to put in the game
You can already do it with WML, AFAIK.
BuBu wrote:What do you think about this idea?
I think it's not going to happen, ever, for standard multiplayer.

However, for certain as-yet-unwritten campaigns - it could be a very interesting idea - why don't you play around with it? WML is fairly easy to learn.
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

This idea can reduce or increase the percentual or can remove some thing or put some more things. It's flexible.

Its only to make unexpect situation like:

- Next to lose and if you have too much luck (because of 1% or 3% "that is very hard to happen") you can have one more chance and can change the future of the game (and why not win). hee hee.

- Remove the ideia that when you kill some unit that ends there. So it can do the challenger get hotter.

Thanks, for your opinion :wink: .

___

I'am new here and i know few things. I don't know what is WML and AFAIK.
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: :: LIFE after DEATH !!! ::

Post by zookeeper »

BuBu wrote:What do you think about this idea?
I think it's a horrible idea.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Isn't resurrection an FPI?
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

I can't seem to find it in the FPI thread list or on the FPI wiki page, at least.
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I don't recall Resurrection being an FPI.

Would this be a good unit special? It'd be kind of hard to place a value on because a lot of the time it would do nothing.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I think it would be a fitting special for paladins or white mages, especially if the 'spirit' they were reincarnated as was something with the same type of graphics and resists as a ghost, but got more and more angelic as it levelled. I would never include it in mainline, but I can easily see putting it as a 100% chance of happening when certain holy characters in some campaigns died, especially when they aren't characters you need to protect...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

The Eternal War puts all dead units back into the recall list, for both you and the opposing side. It's horribly broken for 1.3.3; I think it works for 1.3.1, can't remember. I'm currently rebuilding it for 1.3.4 (got some serious bugs and still waiting on that map format converter).

Anyway, if you want any WML help with the idea, take a look at my code.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Weeksy wrote:I think it would be a fitting special for paladins or white mages, especially if the 'spirit' they were reincarnated as was something with the same type of graphics and resists as a ghost, but got more and more angelic as it levelled. I would never include it in mainline, but I can easily see putting it as a 100% chance of happening when certain holy characters in some campaigns died, especially when they aren't characters you need to protect...
Yes, and defeating the evil wizard only for him to return as a wraith and need to be defeated again is a fantasy staple.

But can't this already be done with WML? The die event is made for this sort of thing, in't it?

In other words, it should be a plot-powered event rather than an exotic unit special.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

if resurrection isn't on the FPI list, it should be...:/

But yeah, having something like this in a campaign or on a special unit in a faction/campaign may be interesting
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Thrawn wrote:if resurrection isn't on the FPI list, it should be...:/
Resurrection in terms of being able to recover/re-recruit dead higher level units should be on the FPI. This ability as proposed would either be annoying-but-minimal in impact (resurrection with few HP) or completely hideous (resurrection with full HP).
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Thrawn wrote:if resurrection isn't on the FPI list, it should be...:/
Has it actually been frequently proposed? We can't add every idea that gets knocked back to the FPI list - it'd just be insanely long.

It might be cool to have a unit that's knocked into a 'dormant' state for a few turns when slain before resurrecting anew (Phoenyx?).

Another idea is a unit that just keeps going when it dies, but gets weaker each time in some way.

An interesting (but completely unbalanced) variant would be a unit that gets more powerful when it dies (lets call it the "Kenobi"). This would be a horrible foe to fight in a campaign. There'd be a lot of 'fall back!' missions until the mystical whosit to deal with them is found...