The Religious Side

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Jetryl wrote:I JUST GOT THE COOLEST IDEA!

You know how the mage of light has the illuminate ability? How's about we give the level-4 ancient lich the Unlight ability?

Same thing, only in reverse. :twisted: [/b]
That would really convey the power of the Ancient Lich. It's a great idea.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

On top of which - perhaps an even deeper darkness and light? god - I'm getting off topic.. :roll:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I just need to say that Jetryls ideas, while they make sense conceptually, are horrible from a gameplay perspective. it would be insanely unbalancing to have a unit that can only harm undead, but slaughters undead.

and those cold strikes aren't any better against humans than fire or pierce or blade. they're just powerful because they are 14-4 and 15-5, which are powerful no matter what.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Myth, the fallen lords, used this for some dread units called shades.

Myth was so cool, because it made stuff like that actually rather creepy. Shades were so ridiculously powerful. With their dispersal dream, they could kill an indefinite number of enemy troops - even the strongest barbarian swordsmen would be ripped to shreds (literally - that game had so much blood and gore) in seconds.

But what made it creepy, was that bigger numbers would work against you. The dispersal dream cascaded, which meant that a shade could easily counter 20-100 poorly placed troops, and yet two or three well-placed bearzerks could take it down without loss of life.

That was a game of finesse. God I wish it ran on OS X...

The fun thing, of course, was to come after a shade with a trow, or one of the avatara, because they could just shrug off the dispersal dream. They lost about 5% of their health to each hit of it, whereas everyone else lost about 80%.

Ah the trow. When a trow kicked a man, the man's legs and arms would stay in place, but the torso would go flying. What a game. What an incredibly good game.
(For your reference, PC Gamer gave it the following accolade: "One of the best games of all time." Quite an honor, I would say. Even command & conquer, and warcraft didn't get that.)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jetryl wrote:I JUST GOT THE COOLEST IDEA!

You know how the mage of light has the illuminate ability? How's about we give the level-4 ancient lich the Unlight ability?

This idea has been suggested before, but I don't necessarily like it.

In life, things are not symmetrical. For each ability that 'good/lawful' guys get, there should not necessarily be an equal and opposite 'darkside' ability. Undead can use plague to turn living units into undead. I don't see anyone proposing some kind of 'restore' ability to turn undead back into living units.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:I don't see anyone proposing some kind of 'restore' ability to turn undead back into living units.

David
Thats because i have't had time yet. :twisted:

Jetryl: i really don't get your post. are you saying shades were not undead and they could only harm undead? or they are undead and they can only harm living units?
but yes, myth is cool. I had Myth II: Soulblighter, but i never finished it and i lost the disk. :(
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:cry: but it was so cool...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Shades were very, very undead, and they could harm anything.
Shades were basically undead Avatarae.

They were wicked both in melee - able to outdo a berserk, and they had a magic attack that was like an act of god.

The trow were not undead, they were a bit like trolls. They were just iron tough.

There was one level in Myth II - namely "The Walls of Muirthemne" where you got to take out about a dozen fetch, and one shade, with your units.

You only had eight. 4 dwarven mortar heroes. And four trow.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:Shades were very, very undead, and they could harm anything.
Shades were basically undead Avatarae.

They were wicked both in melee - able to outdo a berserk, and they had a magic attack that was like an act of god.

The trow were not undead, they were a bit like trolls. They were just iron tough.

There was one level in Myth II - namely "The Walls of Muirthemne" where you got to take out about a dozen fetch, and one shade, with your units.

You only had eight. 4 dwarven mortar heroes. And four trow.
I know what Trow are. I'd just never heard of Shades are Avatarae.
The World of Orbivm
Shade

Oh my. . .

Post by Shade »

I'm a Shade and I do a TROW, but I've never played this game. I swear. That's just creepy.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Hmph, talk about your supernatural! :lol:
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Jetryl wrote:You know how the mage of light has the illuminate ability? How's about we give the level-4 ancient lich the Unlight ability?

BTW this is possible to do for 1 scenario, assuming the scenario does not use MoL.
(and a new unit would have to be made that is like a lich but has "illuminates").
I am not saying this is a good idea.
KISS- keep it simple, stupid

When reading the above quote from TWP, keep in mind the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: "Language is the source of misunderstandings."