new name for soul shooter

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Would you like a new name for the soul shooter?

yes
61%
no
39%

Total votes: 69

Temuchin Khan

new name for soul shooter

Post by Temuchin Khan »

There has been talk in the Art Development thread about finding a new name for the Soul Shooter. To get the discussion going, I though I'd start a new thread and post an idea or two:

Skeletal Archer -> Bone Shooter -> Ossein Ranger
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on June 17th, 2007, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'd prefer something with "archer", "shooter", "bowman" or something similar as the latter component. Something like "ranger" doesn't IMO fit at all since the unit isn't a ranger of any kind, it's just an undead monster that...shoots stuff. So I think a name somewhat like these would fit best:

- Phantom Archer
- Phantom Bowman
- Bow Shade (quite lame)

Of course, this might also be as good a time as any to slip something interesting to the unit, such as an ability or weapon special. Poison, ambush/nightstalk, ranged backstab, a completely new ability/special, and so on.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There's no reason it has to have "shooter" or "archer" in the name. "Draug" and "revenant" don't contain the word "axeman", or really any hint of their function in their name, but we don't get any complaints about it being unclear what sort of unit they are. I'd like to have a name sort of like those, one that intentionally ISN'T descriptive of the unit's function.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Death Sniper (except that would imply marksman hmm...)
Kindraw (I doubt anyone will get this refrence)
Heartless (could be any undead)
Fear-shot (don't like this one)

Now a slew of made up names
Apperation
Darthlow
Necklem
Inhew
Halyen
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

Velensk wrote:Death Sniper (except that would imply marksman hmm...)
Funny thing, I thought of the same name, and dismissed it for the same reason.

One that struck me: "Soul Hunter." It's probably a fairly common name in fiction (in fact I think it might've been the name of those, um... things... Babylon 5 or Stargate... had purple gems in their heads, actor had a really cool voice like the dead gate from King's Quest VI... digress digress...), but it sounded good when I thought it up and it might fit well.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

So far, I like soul hunter best.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

If you want something that parallels "Draug", you could consider "Aptrgang". Maybe too obscure a term? Continuing on the Viking theme, did the dead who were supposed to follow Loki in the Ragnarök have a special name?

I do like "Soul Hunter". I was actually going to use that name for a similar creature (a skeleton with a poisoned crossbow) in my currently dormant game project.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Brainstorming here.
Perhaps Breathtaker?
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Shadow wrote:Brainstorming here.
Perhaps Breathtaker?
What else than brainstorming is this thread?

I prefer soul hunter. But what's a draug anyway? A reference to vikings you say? Draug only reminds me of the Drow and never shocked me somehow. Imo aptrgang is a little too weird. Perhaps change it a little?
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Konrad II wrote:
Shadow wrote:Brainstorming here.
Perhaps Breathtaker?
What else than brainstorming is this thread?
Perhaps I just wanted to expand the sentence a little. Else someone could complain that I am too sparing of words. :annoyed:
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Konrad II wrote:But what's a draug anyway? A reference to vikings you say? Draug only reminds me of the Drow and never shocked me somehow. Imo aptrgang is a little too weird. Perhaps change it a little?
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ghosts.shtml

I have to admit, though, that "Soul Hunter" is probably the best name so far. Pretty much everything else I've come up with, I felt was too cheesy, like:

Reaper (to me would be a melee fighter)
Accursed (generic to any undead really)
Deadbow / Banebow (or whatever other *bow. Not like they're any worse than "Slurbow", but as far as I know "Slurbow" doesn't make any sense anyways.)
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Master Stilgar wrote:
Konrad II wrote:But what's a draug anyway? A reference to vikings you say? Draug only reminds me of the Drow and never shocked me somehow. Imo aptrgang is a little too weird. Perhaps change it a little?
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ghosts.shtml

I have to admit, though, that "Soul Hunter" is probably the best name so far. Pretty much everything else I've come up with, I felt was too cheesy, like:

Reaper (to me would be a melee fighter)
Accursed (generic to any undead really)
Deadbow / Banebow (or whatever other *bow. Not like they're any worse than "Slurbow", but as far as I know "Slurbow" doesn't make any sense anyways.)
Yup, orcish X-bow would sound so much cooler ^_^.

anyway. draug is also used eg in morrowind. i, for one, heard of that one before i ever heard of drow.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

If the Soul Shooter is going to be changed, the Bone Shooter is asking for a change, too.

I don't really understand why the archer skeleton gets something with "Soul" in its title. Unless souls are something it's hunting. "Soul Hunter" - sounds okay.

<something> lurker
<something> stalker

This is playing with the idea that these skeletons are perhaps imbued with more cunning and malice to make up for their lack in physical power compared to the melee line.
khamul

Post by khamul »

I like both "Breathtaker" and "Banebow".
I find Soul Hunter a bit cheesy, but it's okay.

Going slightly left field, how about something along the lines of "Black Arch" or "Dread Arch" for the lvl3: the idea is to reference both the huge curve of a powerful bow, and the arched gate to a graveyard.

The best and most powerful longbows are made from the wood of the Yew tree, which is a particularly somber-looking tree with thick dark-green foliage and small poisonous red berries, commonly grown in graveyards in the UK. Yews are some of the longest-lived European trees - a few surviving individuals are nearly 2000 years old.

It has to be possible to come up with something out of that reference: "Graveshade Arch"? "Graveshade Stalker"? I can't think of anything good.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

khamul wrote:Going slightly left field, how about something along the lines of "Black Arch" or "Dread Arch" for the lvl3: the idea is to reference both the huge curve of a powerful bow, and the arched gate to a graveyard.
for me, only the architectural thing is an "arch". the bows curve would be "arc". afaik.
The best and most powerful longbows are made from the wood of the Yew tree, which is a particularly somber-looking tree with thick dark-green foliage and small poisonous red berries, commonly grown in graveyards in the UK. Yews are some of the longest-lived European trees - a few surviving individuals are nearly 2000 years old.
if you want something along Yew Hunters, i think its a tad too similar to Jew Hunter :/