new name for soul shooter

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Would you like a new name for the soul shooter?

yes
61%
no
39%

Total votes: 69

khamul

Post by khamul »

Syntax_Error wrote:
khamul wrote:Going slightly left field, how about something along the lines of "Black Arch" or "Dread Arch" for the lvl3: the idea is to reference both the huge curve of a powerful bow, and the arched gate to a graveyard.
for me, only the architectural thing is an "arch". the bows curve would be "arc". afaik.
It's been done before - the best artifact bow in the original Diablo was the "Goldstrike Arch" - I think it turned up in Diablo II as well. Seemed to work there, for me at least.
Syntax_Error wrote:
The best and most powerful longbows are made from the wood of the Yew tree, which is a particularly somber-looking tree with thick dark-green foliage and small poisonous red berries, commonly grown in graveyards in the UK. Yews are some of the longest-lived European trees - a few surviving individuals are nearly 2000 years old.
if you want something along Yew Hunters, i think its a tad too similar to Jew Hunter :/
Well, that would be why I didn't suggest it.
I would suggest something like "Yew Shade" or "Yew Stalker", but they suffer from similar problems, and the reference is a bit obscure.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Cromlech Guard
Cromlech Soldier
Undertaker
Unearthed Undertaker
Unhappy Unearthed Undertaker
Clicking Stalker
Bleached Bowman
Betrayed Bowman
Sephuchre Sniper
Grave Guard
Dolmen Soldier/Guard/Archer/Bowman
Bonefletcher
Bonefletch Archer
Boneshaft Executioner
Splintered Soul
Barrowbow
Dead-eye Wight
Bullseye Barrowman
Cemetery Stalker
One-shot Wally
Midnight Murderer
Blackbow

So far I think Soul Hunter or Phantom Archer would be OK (bit better than Soul Shooter perhaps), but I'd like to see something a little more unusual.
khamul

Post by khamul »

I like "Barrowbow".

I'm not sure about "One-shot Wally". Isn't that the Thunderer?

Bonefletch FOO is pretty good, as well.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

khamul wrote:I'm not sure about "One-shot Wally". Isn't that the Thunderer?
Yes, I guess it is :) . I suppose I thought of that because I accidentally watched The Goonies recently, which features One-eyed Willy, who is a skeleton.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Soul Hunter sounds good. I actually also like "Dread Hunter".
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Clonkinator wrote:Soul Hunter sounds good. I actually also like "Dread Hunter".
I like the sound of "Dread Hunter."
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I kind of like the sound of dead-eye stalker, although dread hunter works as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I actually like Aptrgang... "Dolmen Bowman" might work too.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

turin wrote:I actually like Aptrgang... "Dolmen Bowman" might work too.
:lol: that would rather remind me of some catapult. or earth elemental with bow o_O
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

bert1 wrote:Dead-eye Wight.
So far, it's my favorite...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

So far I vote for the dread hunter
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ones that I'm liking from this brainstorm:
Bonefletcher
Barrowbow
Dread hunter
Aptrgang

I'd really like to tip my hat to people, especially Temuchin Khan, for taking the initiative and working on this - invariably, we can't please everyone with this change, but we can hopefully move away from pleasing (almost) no one, as it currently stands with "soul shooter".
Not like they're any worse than "Slurbow", but as far as I know "Slurbow" doesn't make any sense anyways.)
Slurbow makes complete sense - these units wield a real, historical kind of weapon called a slurbow. A slurbow, also somewhat interchangeably known as an arbalest, was more or less a "super-crossbow". A slurbow is to a crossbow, what a cartridge-firing rifle is to a blunderbuss. Slurbows had several major improvements over crossbows - instead of having to grab the string with a hook, there was a ratcheting crank system that allowed you to recock the weapon. The "arch" which was previously made of wood, was now made of a combination of metal and lacquered strips of whalebone; and there were sometimes two arches. In their very late days, the roman trick of making repeating crossbows, which could reload and recock the weapon in a single action by the bowman, was rediscovered, and further upped the firing rate. And finally, the weapon no longer fired bolts, but actually had so much power behind it that they fired what were essentially bullets, made of either stone or metal (which led to another name of these weapons, which was "stonebow"). The name Arbalest itself was derived originally from the french term for crossbow, which came from the latin "arcuballista".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbow

The name arbalest did also get used for some of the early cannons and "gonnes" (early proto-muskets that were like thin cannons-on-a-stick, like the "monk's gun"), which I mention just to quell any dissent about the term.

Anyways, I'd modified the description of the slurbow in trunk a few weeks back, and it should be far more educational this time around.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

About the Slurbow... In that case, shouldn't it be called a Slurbowman?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Jetryl wrote:but we can hopefully move away from pleasing (almost) no one, as it currently stands with "soul shooter".

yeah, soul shooter makes no sense at all,along with a few other wesnoth units. it makes no sense that a mindless skeleten can take a persons soul, put it on bow, and shoot the soul at an enemy.

as for the name, I perfer bonefletcher, it makes sense to me.
well, all for the better good than for the bad good.

new forum
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Troy wrote:
Jetryl wrote:but we can hopefully move away from pleasing (almost) no one, as it currently stands with "soul shooter".

yeah, soul shooter makes no sense at all,along with a few other wesnoth units. it makes no sense that a mindless skeleten can take a persons soul, put it on bow, and shoot the soul at an enemy.

as for the name, I perfer bonefletcher, it makes sense to me.
I hadn't noticed "Bonefletcher" earlier. I like that one, too.