Again the campaign interface... (Updated with screen)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Luca_VR

Again the campaign interface... (Updated with screen)

Post by Luca_VR »

So, here is my concept (i could not do anything better), i did this only to show you what i mean and how the new "choose scenario" window should be IMO.
Don't you think that having a such window when starting a new campaign would be useful (to play an old scenario or savegame)?

Luca
thissneppah

Post by thissneppah »

Hey, I think this was already answered by irrevenant before the forum got wiped. If I got your idea right this time, you want to arrange all the saves from campaigns in some kind of order – first by campaigns, then by scenario. I believe what irrevenant said was this is BWH – “ Been suggested before. We think it's a good idea. Hope to add it eventually.” (you might want to see http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothAcronyms for any acronym meaning you don’t know in the future).

As for the visual interface, I’m not really sure if it’s practical because some campaigns don’t have maps (Under the Burning Sun for example) and it’s possible to have your forces split (The South Guard). Come to think about it, the interface will look pretty messy if at any point your forces decide to retreat by the same path they had come. Anyway hope you don’t feel ignored, I just think everyone already though this answered.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

What is this? Could you please explain what you're suggesting in more detail.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
Luca_VR

Post by Luca_VR »

PingPangQui wrote:What is this? Could you please explain what you're suggesting in more detail.
This is a screen that you should (IMHO) have when you start a campaign.
Instead of starting it from the beginning you, with this screen, can choose a specific scenario, already done, to play again and/or load an old campaign savegame easily.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Hm, I don't really see how you can choose there accept of OK/Cancel - How do you choose a campaign?

Will there be several screens?

I think including this in the interface where you chose campaigns now, would be nice.

Either having those saves at the bottom of the list (on the right side where the campaign description normally appears could be all the required data listed like scenario, turn, gold, units, level of difficulty, etc. ),
or having a separate button from which you can access a similar dialog.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I'm not a fan of this particular implementation, but I like the general idea of a campaign screen that includes the saved games for that particular campaign. It seems elegant and intuitive.
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

Agreed. Something like that would seriously aid with the save-game buildup that I inevitably create with each campaign run.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It would also make it take considerably longer to load a savegame... :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:It would also make it take considerably longer to load a savegame... :?
Do you mean that there's one extra screen to go through?

We don't need to limit ourselves to any one approach. eg. Being able to access saves through the appropriate campaign doesn't mean that you can't also launch them through the menus.
Luca_VR

Post by Luca_VR »

PingPangQui wrote:Hm, I don't really see how you can choose there accept of OK/Cancel - How do you choose a campaign?

Will there be several screens?
The steps are these:
1) Click new campaign
2) Choose the campaign
3) If you played that campaign before, this screen pop-ups and you choose the last scenario or a savegame from any scenario.

If you click Cancel, you go back to the campaign choosing.
If you click Ok you play the selected scenario/savegame.