Landscape Art for Campaigns

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Landscape Art for Campaigns

Post by Becephalus »

It seems to me that so much of the current campaign art is really portrait focused, and most of the non-sprite art I see on the forums as well. Perhaps this is just betraying my general aesthetic preferences, but I feel like in several places in the campaigns the places themselves could be more the stars than the units. I am curious if any of the superb artists I have seen are comfortable with/good at landscapes.

I know I would love to see some nice location mattes.

I will talk to Myth about it some as he starts at revitalizing the campaigns.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Landscape Art for Campaigns

Post by Blarumyrran »

Becephalus wrote:It seems to me that so much of the current campaign art is really portrait focused, and most of the non-sprite art I see on the forums as well. Perhaps this is just betraying my general aesthetic preferences, but I feel like in several places in the campaigns the places themselves could be more the stars than the units. I am curious if any of the superb artists I have seen are comfortable with/good at landscapes.

I know I would love to see some nice location mattes.

I will talk to Myth about it some as he starts at revitalizing the campaigns.
you mean sprites, or the pictures some capaigns have together with the intro description of a level?
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Landscapes can be very good at setting a mood, or setting up a location.

Some of these might work as "generic" scenes. I.E. an elvish forest and a creepy overgrown forest images could both work as an introduction to many different forest scenarios.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

:/ would something like this do? (not quite comparable to your examples, yea i know)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

You guys are the artists, I am just throwing out ideas, and expressing preferences :) That is a decent base, but it is too red and needs a lot more detail.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

You want landscape art? Well, click this, scroll down a bit, and you'll find a whole bunch of it, free to use. And if none of them is to your liking, there are instructions how to roll your own (just remember to only use freely licenced photos).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.