Neutral Garrison option for multiplayer maps

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
bruno
Inactive Developer

Neutral Garrison option for multiplayer maps

Post by bruno »

Have an option to have a unit start in each village that is immobile belonging to a leaderless side.
I think that having to fight for villages will provide for a more interesting start.
There could be a difficulty setting for this feature that would effect the chance and strength of the garrison unit in each village. At the low end, there would never be a unit in a village (as is the case now) and at the high end there would always be a topped out unit in each village.
The garrison units could also be matched by type to the type of village. So that water villages would get mermen and the like.
This is doable using WML, but would be nice to have an easily selectable option from that multiplayer setup screen, especially for random maps.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Hmm... like conscripts at the villages? That might be another chance factor in Wesnoth that some people may be turned off to. But as a toggled option (which it would have to be, I'm assuming) it could definatly add some intersting gameplay. I like it.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Cool idea. But, there are gameplay issues about the effectiveness of scouts. You -really- couldn't use Bats then. ;)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Thats a fine idea, it would be a slightly different game, but a fine idea. I know someone made a Warcraft 3 type mod just like this where there were immobile neutral creeps spread all over the map.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

There was a multiplayer map named "Temples and Guards" or something like that which did have "neutral" (i.e. enemy to all teams) guards for villages. I don't see it anywhere now though.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That was a pretty awesome map, from what I remember. Highest damage I ever saw was on that map. Lancer in Day against a Drake something or other.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

jonathantan86 wrote:There was a multiplayer map named "Temples and Guards" or something like that which did have "neutral" (i.e. enemy to all teams) guards for villages. I don't see it anywhere now though.
It's called "Temples and Villages", and the first link in my signature (or a search on the forum for that title) will take you straight there. Although I don't remember Maeglin liking that map. :o

BTW, the old Borderland Wars also had guards in villages. I removed them from the newer version precisely for the reason that they stalled the game a little, and were very hard to balance vs the different factions.