menu option to change in-game music?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Capn' Wankel

menu option to change in-game music?

Post by Capn' Wankel »

Hey guys I was wondering if the idea had been brought up to include a menu option where a player can choose his music. Don't get me wrong here....I love the music in the game right now but it would be nice to have some of the older version music as an option to toggle to and from.

The extra music choices don't have to be included in the downloaded game either....they can be downloadable off the server or forum.

-Just a thought,
Lee
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Preferred solution: play the music you like in an external music player, and turn the music off in Wesnoth.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

You can load Wesnoth's music in an external player, as well.

It's been brought up before. Too much hassle for something you could do yourself with little effort and another program.
ranek

Post by ranek »

I believe the music is set up by the scenario makers. It may be possible during MP but I don't think it's worth it
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I want the old music back too, but sadly, there are good reasons for it being gone. This simplist solution like everyone said is turn of the Wesnoth music in preferences and play your own from an outside source.
Capn' Wankel

It's cool

Post by Capn' Wankel »

I hear ya. I guess I would prefer to have anyone volunteering time to the development of the game to focus on more pressing matters as well.
scott

Post by scott »

Someone could still put the old music on the campaign server for use by BFW archaeologists. For those who have witnessed game development over the years, there was a degree of personality in those tracks that helped color our perception of the game.

Just because a city has shiny, new, technologically-advanced superstructures doesn't mean that the old historical buildings are no longer part of the city's heritage or character (I'm currently in San Diego for a conference :) ).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Dragon Master wrote:This simplest solution like everyone said is turn of the Wesnoth music in preferences and play your own from an outside source.
I fail to see how having to (a) download the music files separately, run a separate bit of software, locate music files on your hard drive, load the files and play the files is in any way simpler than (b) selecting a track from a drop-down within Wesnoth. :?

Not to mention this means toggling backwards and forwards between software to change tracks.
scott wrote:Just because a city has shiny, new, technologically-advanced superstructures doesn't mean that the old historical buildings are no longer part of the city's heritage or character.
What he said. Not to mention that a number of people actually prefer the old music.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I did say I like the old music, when I said playing music from an external source, I was refering to Windows Media Player (what I use), SonicStage, Napster or whatever. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but yes, I would love to have a Jukebox style menu in Wesnoth.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Wesnoth disco music! 8)
(sorry, random comment)
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

irrevenant wrote:
Dragon Master wrote:This simplest solution like everyone said is turn of the Wesnoth music in preferences and play your own from an outside source.
I fail to see how having to (a) download the music files separately, run a separate bit of software, locate music files on your hard drive, load the files and play the files is in any way simpler than (b) selecting a track from a drop-down within Wesnoth. :?

Not to mention this means toggling backwards and forwards between software to change tracks.
scott wrote:Just because a city has shiny, new, technologically-advanced superstructures doesn't mean that the old historical buildings are no longer part of the city's heritage or character.
What he said. Not to mention that a number of people actually prefer the old music.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3225
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

How exactly is that relevant to what irrevenant said? :?
scott

Post by scott »

irrevenant wrote:[
It's simpler for the coders for one. I don't think a feature like this would add a whole lot, and there's always a risk cost to doing something like this. On the other hand, a lot of these little interface tweaks seem to be low risk.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

zookeeper wrote:
How exactly is that relevant to what irrevenant said? :?
It's very relevant and should be rather obvious.
irrevenant wrote: I fail to see how having to (a) download the music files separately, run a separate bit of software, locate music files on your hard drive, load the files and play the files is in any way simpler than (b) selecting a track from a drop-down within Wesnoth. :?
This is not the comparison you should be doing. a) should be compared to "b) Since no dev atm is interested in coding this feature you would need to convince a dev to code and maintain something he/she doesn't want", which I'm pretty sure is harder than a).
irrevenant wrote: What he said. Not to mention that a number of people actually prefer the old music.
As Miyo writes: "Because we are building this game for ourselves and for our preferences, not for you.". This makes the argument that some users want it inconsequential as long as no dev want it.
JW

Post by JW »

This is unnecessary because it can already be done through other means. Since it isn't necessary to playing Wesnoth, as knowing certain statistics can be, I don't see a need for adding it.

That said, a library of all old tracks somewhere on the wiki, forums, or server would be neat.
(though I wouldn't use it)