Ability Variation: First Strike(s)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Kyr

Ability Variation: First Strike(s)

Post by Kyr »

The purpose of "First Strikes" is to give certain units the ability to strike first in any situation, and to attack more then once in the opening attack. This would be before the opponent could respond to the attack, and up to the attackers maximum number of attacks. There is no way with this ability to attack more times then is possible by a certain unit.

This provides the unit with a few bonus tactical advantages;

The ability to destroy a wounded unit in more then one strike, and to not come under fire from that wounded unit.

The ability to attack before being attacked, multiple times, and the possibility of destroying the attacker before he can get any attacks in.

Basically, this ability would make the unit slightly more dangerous and keep the total damage it would deal exactly the same. Example: A Normal bowman has a 6-3 Ranged attack, and a bowman with First strikes would attack twice before the other unit. All this ability would do would let the unit with the First Strikes ability use his attack twice, before the enemy.

In a fight versus a Elven Archer it would play out like this;

Elven Archer initiates combat with Bowman
Bowman Strikes
Bowman Strikes
Elven Archer Strikes
Bowman Strikes
Elven Archer Strikes
Elven Archer Strikes
Elven Archer Strikes

So as you can see, this allows the unit, under certain circumstances, to have a larger window of opportunity for destroying a unit without coming under fire.

First Strikes will have varying levels of power, with the weakest version allowing one additional attack before the opponent. If two units with the First Strikes ability were to engage in combat, the strongest First Strikes ability would have the weaker First Strikes subtracted from it, and then the battle would start with the strongest but now weakened First Strikes ability belonging to the respective unit going first.

An example of the previous explanation;

Longbowman (First Strikes level 2) initiates combat with Bowman (First Strikes level 1)
Longbowman is given First Strikes level 1 due to the difference in ability levels
Longbowman strikes Bowman
Bowman strikes Longbowman

This, I believe, may not be simplistic enough. If it is, just say so.

This ability is so similar that it would replace "First Strike." It would now become First Strike (#,) where # is the number of first strikes the unit has. 0 would be applied to units that simply strike first, and 1 to units that strike first and then get a second strike.

To clarify, the attack is not an "extra" attack. As in, the unit doesn't get to attack more times then its maximum attacks. A bowman at 3 attacks max would still only attack up to 3 times.

This ability would be a weapon special.

A possible extra bonus of First Strike (#) could allow a ranged defending unit to use his ranged attack against a melee attacker, up to 1 or more times, and to then respond using melee. This would simulate the fact that melee units arn't instantly in combat with ranged units and have to "approach."

I believe that this ability is a good way to tell fast units and archers apart from slower units, and adds a stronger tactical feel to these units. When it comes down to the last blows of combat, I feel these units don't have enough of an advantage compared to units who deal all their damage in only one or two strikes.

Good candidates for this ability are frail archers and skirmishers, and possibly units with some capacity to simply hit first, as with spears.

Edits;
Updated OP with a more accurate battle example and explanation.
Proposed replacing "First Strike" with "First Strike (#)."
Added possible bonus for ranged attackers with "First Strike (#)."
Last edited by Kyr on May 26th, 2006, 1:12 am, edited 12 times in total.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

The Spearman (Loyalists) has this ability.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

You mean something like the weapons special first-strike that spearman have?
Kyr

Post by Kyr »

Its similar to "First Strike" but this ability would give the unit "First Strike" in addition to attacking more then once before the enemy.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

an extra attack would be too overpowering, imagine a iron mauler with this (I assume that this is supposed to be a trait, because otherwise a unit could just be given another attack, and then have the ability let it use two of it's attacks before it's opponent,instead of you mentioning that it gets an extra attack)

however a more balanced version (of the trait or ability) would be exactly that, let the unit use two of it's attacks before the opponent can retaliate, something like "fast strike". It wouldn't be too overpowering because alot of the time it wouldn't have an effect on combat, only when either you or the enemy were low on HP, at which point you can either kill him before he can retaliate, or attack once more before you die.

of course, against low HP units, like walking corpses, it would be more useful (elvish champion with this, against a hoard of walking corpses :lol: ), but this doesn't happen as often (most of the time my elvsh champions fought normal, or in most cases L2 or 3 units, because he would have the better chance against them than my other units.)
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

so basically, it gives the unit double first strike?

What's the point?
Kyr

Post by Kyr »

Please, the point was outlined in the original post. If you have trouble understanding it, please re-read it, or let me know what part in confusing.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Re: Ability Concept: First Strikes

Post by Dragonking »

I have trouble with understanding your example:
Kyr wrote:Example: A Normal bowman has 6-3
Ranged - yes. Meele it's 6-2.
Kyr wrote:and a bowman with First strikes would still have 6-3. All this ability would do would let the unit with the First Strikes ability use his attack twice, before the enemy.
So First Strike for ranged attack.
Kyr wrote: It would play out like this;

Wolf Rider initiates combat with Bowman
So wolf attack with _melee_

Kyr wrote: Bowman Strikes
Bowman Strikes
Wolf Rider Strikes
Bowman Strikes
Wolf Rider Strikes
Wolf Rider Strikes
Where does this extra _melee_ attack comes from? Please fix your example.

About idea: imho it is too simmilar to current firststrike.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I thought the post was pretty clear, and the idea is just as simple. The name may confuse people, since it's so similar to First Strike; something like Initiative or Rush wouldn't cause so much strife.

The point is kind of like the Charge ability. It's best used when you can take out the enemy before he can attack you. A unit with backstab would be really mean if it had this.

I was wondering how you might want to balance this, but I think the only way would be to make sure you don't give it to the wrong unit (i.e. an Iron Mauler). Also, I think this idea would be best if it only applied offensively.
Last edited by Ken_Oh on May 25th, 2006, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

First strike could just be made parameterizable, so the unit writer could just specify how many strikes the unit gets before the opponent gets to act. Then, with a value higher than one, the ability would actually be useful even when attacking...

I also think the idea was rather clearly presented.
JW

Post by JW »

Zookeeper nailed this on the head: this is not a new ability, it is a variation of a current ability.

I also have to add I don't see any unit in mainline that this ability would be appropriate for.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

zookeeper wrote:
I also think the idea was rather clearly presented.
JW wrote:Zookeeper nailed this on the head: this is not a new ability, it is a variation of a current ability.

I also have to add I don't see any unit in mainline that this ability would be appropriate for.
I agree with both.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Personally, I would suggest that minor variations of existing abilities are a bad idea because they have too much potential to become confused in the player's mind.

[moderator hat]
Standard two page rule applies; you have until the end of the second page to convince us why this is a good idea. I recommend a read of this.
[/moderator hat]
Last edited by irrevenant on May 25th, 2006, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyr

Post by Kyr »

Personally, I would suggest that minor variations of existing abilities are a bad idea because they have too much potential to become confused in the player's mind.
Could you please elaborate on this?
CuddleFish

Post by CuddleFish »

this ability can totally backfire....
if you're fighting in melee against a unit with drain
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin