Luck balancing idea.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
muxec

Luck balancing idea.

Post by muxec »

As it was told hundreds of time randomness is basic design desicion and it can not be changed. I propose another solution - equalizing luck.

The game keeps track of inflicted and estimated mean damage. So it would be good to have multiplayer option to increase to hit chance if inflicted damage is seriously lower than estimated and to lower to hit if EV is much lower than real. Let's take duel as example. more than 25% from EV when ev>50 would be OK.

Red player received 150 (EV=200)
Red player inflicted 150 (EV 120)

Now if Red elven archer (5*4) attacks enemy Dwavish fighter in forest than EV is 20*0.7, but true chance to hit is lower, like (0.7-(0.05*2*(150-120)/120)))=0.65=65% (2 comes from 2 players have the same real-EV difference with opposite signs on multiplayer this can be different. EV is still counted as without correction so in case of the most probable outcome the EV gap will decrease.

This will lower the luck gap and improve the balance of multiplayer part.

Discuss.
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

THIS IS NOT A NEW IDEA!

This is a very very old idea and it has been shouted over many times. This idea has, in fact, been implemented by multiple people on multiple occasions, but it never really picked up much of a following.

Don't discuss. Read up on the old discussions.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
muxec

Post by muxec »

Sooner or laterI'll find some way to balance luck without conflicting design desicions!
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
JW

Post by JW »

The only 2 ways to balance luck are to be lucky or remove luck altogether.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

JW wrote:The only 2 ways to balance luck are to be lucky or remove luck altogether.
opponent unlucky also... but that may count as point one
really, just get use to the luck, and you don't have to changa anything... and it provides an excuse when you lose. :)

its one of the better of the bad ideas, though!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Deathblower

Post by Deathblower »

no, no, no, no, no.

That comment may not be too helpful to anyone who wants to implement this feature, but frankly I don't care.

It is a horrible idea and punishes a player if they have had good luck (something which they can't control).

It is awful, really. If it is implemented it ruins the whole system. So please, just don't.

DB
Just a short dude with a lot of time . . .