Abilities that have potential---

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
tsr

Re: Abilities that have potential---

Post by tsr »

Hm, not that I think it is really worth it, but I guess it would be possible to collect all the abilities in one place.

AFAIK there is already some wmllinting on upload to the add-on server, it would be possible to fetch stuff within special markers from all uploaded files and of course from core too.

/tsr
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

It could be worth it, if only for inspirational purposes... Could you tell us a little more about what you have in mind? I'm not familiar with the system :hmm:
tsr

Post by tsr »

Well, _if_ there is some parsing of files being uploaded to the server by wmllint, I assume wmllint could be extended to rip out interesting parts and put them on the wiki.

Something like:

Code: Select all

#ability-start
[ability]
[/ability]
(if the above is just a dummy-ability put 'real' code here)
#ability-end
But, honestly I don't know if it is possible just brainstorming here, you should look into if wmllint really checks uploaded files and if so i wmllint is the appropriate tool or if it's better to create a new one that can be chained in (or something).

I'd go over to wesnoth-dev@freenode.org (IRC) and talk with ESR (mantainer of wmllint last time I checked) or some of the core coders.

/tsr
[/code]
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Thanks for the information--I might just do that.
TheMastermind

Post by TheMastermind »

an ability that some kind of a body possesing spirit/demon/parasite/symbiyote may have:

:arrow: Posses
Original idea: when the unit killes another unit it's taking over it's body (becomes that unit type).
A possible spin: not all of the unit stats are changed (traites may be kept, this ability may be kept, some kind of magic attack, exp and the like).
A possible spin:: switch bodies only if the other body is better.
A possible spin:: when the unit dies it gets back to it's original form.
A possible spin:: could have much more spins XD

English is not my main language, sorry XD
Qes

Post by Qes »

Just some ability ideas:

Vendetta:
Personal Ability
When a unit with "Vendetta" is killed, the killing unit gets a "black mark." All Units with "Vendetta" do +50% more damage against targets with "Black Marks"

Valor:
Personal Ability
When a unit with Valor falls below 50% health, it's movement is reduced to 1, but it's resistances too all damage increase by 30-50% (depending on balance)

Corruption:
Weapon/Attack Ability
A unit struck by corruption strikes loses one maximum movement point per hit. If it is reduced to 0 maximum movement, it converts to the corrupters side and regains all lost movement. The unit will regain all lost movement if healed by a heal8 or if it rests in a village.

Profane:
Personal Ability
When struck by arcane damage, Units with profanity gain 20% arcane resistance and do 20% more damage for combat.

Metamorphic:
Weapon Ability
When struck by a metamorphic attack, a cumulative status is accrued at X% per hit. At the end of combat, the struck unit has the total percent chance of randomly becoming a random unit of equal or lower level (with equivilant total damage.)

Fey:
Personal Ability
Fey units are unaffected by petrify, corruption, and metamorphic attacks.

Telepathic:
Personal Ability
Any unit struck by a Telepathic unit, provides LOS for the player who owns the Telepathic unit. If the unit is lost, so is this Line of Sight.

Immortal:
Personal Ability
When an Immortal unit is killed, it instead teleports back to the castle (or adjacent to the leader) at 1 HP. It misses it's following turn.

Diplomatic:
Personal Ability
Unit only needs to be adjacent to a village to claim it, if an enemy unit is in the village, the village remains on the occupying units side.

Mercantile:
Personal Ability
Unit costs 0 upkeep and doubles the amount of coin a village it occupies adds to the total income per turn.

Scavenger:
Personal Ability
Each time this unit kills another, it's owner gains an amount of gold proportional to the level of the unit killed.

Doppelganger:
When a unit with this ability is attacked (on defense) it retaliates with an identical weapon/attack. When this unit is on the attack, it has the option of using any of it's targets attacks against it.

Rusted:
(Negative) Weapon Ability
Each time this weapon strikes an enemy (does damage) it loses 1 damage permanently to the attack.

Brittle:
(Negative) Weapon Ability
Each time this weapon strikes an enemy (does damage) it loses 1 strike permanently to the attack (which can remove the attack).

Acidic:
Weapon Ability
A unit struck by an acidic attack loses 10% to its resistances (minimum -30%) per turn until it rests a turn in a village (heal8's do not help). When it heals in the village, it's resistances are restored.

Cowardice:
(Negative) Personal Ability
When a unit with cowardice falls below 50% health, it becomes controlled by the AI with the express purpose of avoiding combat. (Fleeing in a direct line away from all enemies), it will do this until it can find a village outside of the range of any potential attacks and will stay there until healed above 50% at which points it acts normally once again.

Champion:
Personal Ability
When adjacent to a friendly unit being attacked, the friendly unit will take half the damage, and the Champion will take the other half. Resistances depend on the unit being attacked, not the champion's resistances.

Fearsome:
Personal Ability
Units are unable to attack units with "fearsome" if the "fearsome" unit killed another unit in combat that or last turn. "Fearless" units may attack as normal.

Rage:
Personal Ability
When a unit with Rage successfully hits a unit, it gains +50% movement and +50% damage until the end of it's next turn. (It can keep this up by continuously attacking things.) When Rage ends, it becomes slowed.

Snipe:
Ranged Weapon Ability
When attacking with the snipe weapon special, the attacks are all made prior to the defenders retaliation. If the attacker misses any of his attacks, combat immediately ends. (Effectively this means the defender never gets to retaliate. But this only works while the snipe is on the attack)

Regrowth:
Personal Ability
Every time a unit with Regrowth is struck for damage, it gains the amount of damage taken in Maximum HP (but not current hp.) (For example, if a Hydra had 40/40 HP, and took 5 damage, it would be at 35/45)

Rebuke:
Weapon Ability
When a weapon with rebuke strikes a unit of lower level, that unit loses the rest of it's strikes for that combat.

Spellfury:
Weapon Ability
Is considered Magical (70% accuracy). If attacking with a spellfury attack, and the defender defends with an attack with the "magical" weapon special - Combat continues until one or the other unit is destroyed, or until 30 rounds of combat have passed.

Precognition:
Personal Ability
Attacks never have better than a 50% chance to hit units with Pre-cognition, even magical and marskman attacks.

Just ideas.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

While we are throwing out ideas...

(Positive Effects)

Deteriorate
This attack deals damage in permanent HP loss.

Parlay
A unit hit by parlay stops attacking and cannot move until 1 complete round has passed, (and because it was meant for a unit with 0 damage), a unit that parlays another unit gains 4 exp.

Deceive
When a enemy unit enters a Deceiving units ZoC it loses the rest of it's MP and cannot attack. The ability can only be used once as long as the unit is seen.

Confident
Confident units take 10-20% less damage when not adjacent to an ally.

Danger Sense
This unit is unaffected by 'backstab'.

Keen Reflexes
This unit is unaffected by 'marksman', 'counter', and 'Magical'.

Waylay
This attack uses all of it's strikes before the opponent retaliates.

Willful
A willful unit has 5-10% chance that an attack that would normally kill that unit reduces it to 1 hp instead

Aura of Affliction
When an enemy hits this unit they take 1+(their level) points of damage.

Vengeful
When a vengeful unit is hit while defending its gains +1 strike for each hit, until the end of that battle.

Style changer
Enemies are not awarded combat experience from a style changer, as they will never fight that same way again (If a style changer is killed the enemy still obtains that exp).

Combat Master
Combat Masters acquire combat exp at a faster rate (+1 exp per battle).

Immune
This unit is unaffected by Poison and Plague.

(Effects that can go both ways)

Facestealer
This unit has the same resistances as the unit it is engaged in combat with.

Sickly
A sickly unit halves all positive resistances it has. When it is struck in melee the striker becomes sickly.

Reckless
A reckless attack deals double damage to an opponent while attacking, but the attacker takes a percent of the damage he deals.

Odd attack
This weapon randomly deals 50-150% of its base damage.

(Negative effects)

Fearful
This unit takes only penalties for the day and night cycle.
Meow
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

kyi_the_bard wrote:Danger Sense
This unit is unaffected by 'backstab'.

Keen Reflexes
This unit is unaffected by 'marksman', 'counter', and 'Magical'.
Most of your ideas seem reasonable, but these two in particular are inadvisable.
[url=http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1158]FPI[/url]#28 wrote:There should be an ability that cancels out Poison/Magic/Drain/etc.
Result: The developers feel that this would lead to an 'arms race' where eg. "Immunity to Poison" would result in the creation of "Super Poison that even effects the Immune", "Immunity to even Super-Poison" etc. resulting in 'levels' of abilities. The developers feel that this would add an unwanted complexity to the game.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

Whoops, I read over that list twice but I was typing straight off a list I had on paper so I guess it just escaped my train of thought.

*Hopes you didn't notice Immune Trait*

It was just some of those made sense to see in some units. Oh well just suggestions, not demands.
Meow
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Just so any users posting here are aware...
JW wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure if this thread serves much of a purpose anymore other than to be a collection of ideas for UMC creators to brainstorm from.
Posting ideas here only serves to give ideas for others to pull from if they want to use one in a UMC, and no longer towards the original purpose of JW putting ideas here that have potential to get into the game. More recently, it's just become a dumping ground of users who want to share ideas they do not feel like implementing themselves. I would look at the wiki page of Skizzaltix and Ken_Oh for abilities that are coded.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Scubaforce

Post by Scubaforce »

This probably is not such a good idea, but:

Surveillance(name pending): This ability allows the unit to see any hidden units(ambushing or submerged for example) within it's line of sight.

This would probably be best when couple with a weak unit with big movement, like say a bat, then you could even go as far to rename it sonar.
We have labored long to build a heaven, only to find it populated with horrors.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Good be interesting for a custom era that was heavy in hidden units--Possibly on a dead-end L2 advancement of a mage or somesuch :hmm:
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Turuk wrote:More recently, it's just become a dumping ground of users who want to share ideas they do not feel like implementing themselves.
Fair enough
Lets see if i can draw some inspiration here. 8)

I guess i really like this dumping thread. :mrgreen:
i think its nice. Even if the most Ideas cant be used.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
csparrow

Post by csparrow »

Here are a couple abilities i have thought of

Black plague, weapon ability: This is plague in its most potent form it does 8 damage per turn until dead from there it resurrects enemies as soullesses and it can be cure in a village

Phalanx, personal ability: this ability allows you to do 25% more damage per neighboring unit that also has phalanx, but it only works in defense.
It is from their foes, not friends that cities learn the lesson of building high walls - Aristophanes
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

csparrow wrote:Here are a couple abilities i have thought of

Black plague, weapon ability: This is plague in its most potent form it does 8 damage per turn until dead from there it resurrects enemies as soullesses and it can be cure in a village

Phalanx, personal ability: this ability allows you to do 25% more damage per neighboring unit that also has phalanx, but it only works in defense.
The real problem with you posting those here is that they are in the wrong thread.

One idea per thread is the maxim around here, and the idea of this thread is collecting worthwhile abilities.

Start your own topic to see if your abilities are actually worthwhile, then see if JW wants to add them to this list. -If- they're actually worthwhile.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.