Help me wesnothers, your my last best hope

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

stillcen

Help me wesnothers, your my last best hope

Post by stillcen »

I am trying to remember 2 titles and their authors.

First was a sci-fi book about a sentient space colonization ship that was going around checking on the different colonies that it had carried people to. The ship was usually a simply an observer to the events happening in the different colonies. Strangly enough, the ship jumped around to different times in the colonization of the systems.
I read it maybe 10-15 years ago.

Second (and far more shrouded) About 30 years ago i read a fantasy book about either an ' uber man' or was it a 'under man' cant remember which. He had two thumbs and no nose, which caused him irritation when ever it rained. His steed, if memory serves and it clearly does not, was that he road around on a tiger. The books had a similer feel as the Conan seires.
have a good one

stillcen
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Help me wesnothers, your my last best hope

Post by Sapient »

I don't know, but judging by your taste in books, you would probably enjoy the Northworld Trilogy by David Drake. And if you like that one, you might try Ranks of Bronze.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

For the first one, is it the "rama saga" by arthur clarke? i think the first book is "rendezvous with rama". Also judging by your taste you might like "a fire in the deep" by vernor vinge.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

stillcen wrote:I am trying to remember 2 titles and their authors.

Second (and far more shrouded) About 30 years ago i read a fantasy book about either an ' uber man' or was it a 'under man' cant remember which. He had two thumbs and no nose, which caused him irritation when ever it rained. His steed, if memory serves and it clearly does not, was that he road around on a tiger. The books had a similer feel as the Conan seires.
This sounds like it might be Lawrence Watt-Evans and his series about an overman, which started with The Lure of the Basilisk and continued in books like The Sword of Bheleu.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Masterchief40k

Post by Masterchief40k »

stillcen wrote:He had two thumbs
thats ok
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

Sapient-I have read almost everything that D. Drake has written. I really liked the N. world trilogy. I Loved the grittyness of the Tanker stuff. What i believe his very first book to be (about some non-tanker mercs when things go south) is too many uncomfortable things for me, and if i had read it first i would be Strongly oppposed to him.

Max-Torch Not Rama. I fond Rama to be a good read that i almost put down 1/3 of the way through as to the dryness, glad is did not.

Groggy-Dice Holy-mother-Of-Rat-droppings---THAT's it!!! How in the Freaking Sand Patch did you come up with that?

Maser_Chief40K- I should have been more detailed two thumbs on Each hand. (insert 'good one' smirk)

ancestral- I will consider your good suggestion.

stillcen
Last edited by Iris on August 20th, 2014, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Colors
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Well in "a fire in the deep" by vinge and its sequels or prequels when ships move through space they also sort of move through time since it is a universe where the rate of change of time gets faster and faster as you move away from its center so as they move towards the center they see more primitive civilizations and as they mover outwards it gets more advanced until they see entities that have transcended into godhood
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

tis not "fire in the deep", and i do not believe it is vinge novel.

stillcen