Space Ships

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Space Ships

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

So a small (3 part) question inspired by another thread:

Which look better to you the space ships in Star Wars or in Star Trek?
-which would you rather travel the universe in?
-which look better on the inside?

I'm not a star trek fan, but I kind of almost have to hand it to them for their non-human ships, especially the interiors. I'd definatly travel the universe in an imperial star destroyer, nothing is more badass than an imperial star destroyer (from Star Wars).

Does anyone know of other SF series with better ships?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Space Ships

Post by GunChleoc »

I'm all for the TARDIS. If you don't like it, you can ask her to change the decor :P
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I sort of like Star Wars, but all the space travel there is so absurd (as a physicist, I am expected to see it like this). What I liked there were the lightsabre fights, Jedis and Siths using their powers and so on, not even trying to be more realistic than Harry Potter.
Because Star Trek has no Jedis and Sith Lords, I my opinion is Star Wars > Star Trek.
And Doctor Who is far beyond the levels of absurdity shown in Star Wars.
wolkenwand

Post by wolkenwand »

i prefer star wars. i like steampunk-like space ships / universe and rebellion story element, also the memorable:
"*phssssssh* *khuuuuuh* *phhhhssssh* *khhuuuh* *phhhsssssh*" sound.

p.s: that is darth vader's breathing sound . . . lol
Last edited by wolkenwand on November 22nd, 2013, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

The ships in Star Wars looked great from the outside. I'd still prefer to use a ship of the Firefly class for travel. (For interplanetar travel, since it does'nt have superluminal speed. For interstellar journeys it would be the TARDIS :mrgreen: )
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

The Red Dwarf from the Red Dwarf series was cool. IIRC it looked like junk from the outside but had cool interiors. But I only saw the first few episodes of series 1...

The ships from 2001: A Space Odyssey were also inspiring, especially the EVA pods (I had to look this up :P ). The scenes with the EVAs were the best.

And of course you can't forget about the Planet Express Ship from Futurama.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I think the Satellite of Love is probably the best ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite ... er_3000%29
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Borg cube. Who doesn't like cubes?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Midnight_Carnival

I don't like cubes, but then if I were in one I would legitimately be able to say

"We are Gimp of Borg
All your photoshop are belong to us!"

I also remember seeing a quote by a sf writer saying something to the effect that Star Trek was <inflamatory comment deleted>, Star Wars was <inflamatory comment deleted> and the only true sf series was Dr Who, and he'd take anyone who said otherwise on alone or in groups :lol:

I'm not going to comment on levels of "realism"...

I just really still think that one of those inside of klingon or whatever vessels is great.
I mean there's that dim red or amber lighting and the pointless smoke all over the place, then there are those needless and frankly dangerous metal protrusions, you just know that anyone boarding the ship is going to get eaten... I was thinking "I want that in my house!"

I don't know much about the Firefly, saw a bit, it seemed to me that the characters made the series, not the ships, but then as I said, I didn't see much of the series.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I also remember seeing a quote by a sf writer saying something to the effect that Star Trek was <inflamatory comment deleted>, Star Wars was <inflamatory comment deleted> and the only true sf series was Dr Who, and he'd take anyone who said otherwise on alone or in groups :lol:
I am just recently catching up on the most recent Doctor Who series, just up to season 2 finale yet. But in principle, I can see someone making a point because it takes the genre to a different level in terms of creativity.
To me, Star Trek is and always was the best vision of a hopeful future for mankind, while being not totally out of reach.
Star wars on the other hand has a much more dirty, darker setting which is sadly more realistic (excluding the actual science and or force related issues).
Doctor Who is just crazily creative (from what I gathered so far) and doesn't care too much for details in the rationalism department. Also, it appears to me to be equally hopeful as Star Trek.
I just really still think that one of those inside of klingon or whatever vessels is great.
Frankly, I don't get that at all, what is the benefit of having dimmed lights inside a space vessel? The outside design of the Bird of Prey is quite enjoyable, but the interior of a federation ship or romulan ship appears to me much more reasonable... besides the epicness of the borg cube.
They don't give a frog about an appealing shape, why would they in frictionless space? There are no separate sections, everything is decentralized, a huge advantage in combat.

Greetz
HomerJ
Midnight_Carnival

:hmm: the Borg Cube is the exact opposite of the Deathstar and would PWN it in combat?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Midnight_Carnival wrote::hmm: the Borg Cube is the exact opposite of the Deathstar and would PWN it in combat?
Of course not, that's the beauty of the borg, one or two cubes would get destroyed, but eventually, the deathstar will be overrun by drones and assimilated. [Epic Moment Of Clarity] They are like space-zombies!

Greetz
HomerJ
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

They are like space-zombies!
That's an accurate observation - both zombies and Borg look scary, lack free will and turn people into more of their kind.
That said you can probably find similiarities between other Star Trek and fantasy races too - Vulcan=Elves (pointy eared, long-lived, smug, but usually friendly to humans), Romulan=Dark Elves (they're hostile relatives of Vulcans), Klingons=Orcs (violent warriors) and possibly others (I'm not exactly a Trekkie).
Midnight_Carnival

...Ferengi = Dwarves, love of commerce and accumulating wealth, strange and unclear reproductive details (it's in the ears!)
Deki

Post by Deki »

And who are Cardassians? Might be Uruk-hai :)