Games discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Insinuator

Re: Games discussion

Post by Insinuator »

Crow_T wrote:Anyhow, I'd love to play the Zelda series, but the cost of a console for one game is not worth it!
There are a few Zelda games, I believe. If you want to play it on PC, there are emulators you can download to 0play console games.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Insinuator wrote:There are a few Zelda games, I believe. If you want to play it on PC, there are emulators you can download to 0play console games.
But then obtaining ROMs to load into the emulator is a rather shady business... as I understand it, the only truly legal way of obtaining ROMs is if you dump the game yourself. Downloading them through the Internet is always illegal, no exceptions.
(though there are a lot of false rumors which say that if you legally own a copy of the game, downloading a ROM is legal...)

But on a practical level, in reality nobody is going to give you any trouble over downloading ancient SNES game ROMs... it depends on how much you care about being technically legal.

(BTW, all of this is just what I know about the US, I assume there are probably different laws in other countries... and I could be mistaken about this stuff, anyways.)
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

It's been a while since I've been on these forums, and I've stopped playing Wesnoth for three reasons:

1. Minecraft (not so much anymore)
2. Steam & Steam Sales
3. Humble Bundle

Kind of a love/hate thing with Steam and the Humble Bundle. I love getting cheap, good games, but I was kind of hoping I would run out of games to play and learn C/C++, but that's never going to happen. The games I've been playing recently are AoE III, Portal, Portal 2, Legend of Grimrock, Dungeon Defenders, Super Meat Boy, Beat Hazard, and a few others.
Timshel
Deo

Post by Deo »

I'd like to introduce a neat, rather original and fun turn-based strategy called Deus Shift. You can find it here http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/608778 It takes some time to understand all the rules, but after you got it it's a lot of fun! If you have any questions feel free to contact me, I really like this game and I hope to find some companions.
Last edited by Deo on April 24th, 2013, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

just learned how toplay. bring it on! settle a date via pm.imonlineinthe evenings london time
Deo

Post by Deo »

Rigor wrote:just learned how toplay. bring it on! settle a date via pm.imonlineinthe evenings london time
Oh my God, did I just get reply? Finally! Have you beaten Intermediate AI already? Its pretty tough, really teaches you how to play. Anyway, I'm in! I'm posting a record for anyone interested to watch. It's old and with few mistakes though (it doesn't show full code, but it works. Just double click this line and copy-paste it into "Review" - "View Exported Record" section of the Deus Shift)
AkJzwfb34kAABwAACFBsYXllciAxAAhQbGF5ZXIgMgEBBAIAAQEDAgEBAwQAAQMEAwICBQYAAQQGBQIDAwQAAQQEAwICBAMCAgYFAAICBgMGAQMGAwIEBgUCBAQDAAECBAUCAgQFAgQEAwABBAYEAgQGBAACBAYFAgEEAwIBBgUAAQIGBQIFBAMAAgEEBQICBgUCAwQDAAIDBgUAAgMEAwEJBgUCBAYDAgQDBAABCQYCAgMGBQIDBAMAAQIDBAICAwQCAwQDAAEIBgYCAwQDAgQEAwABAwUGAgMEAwACBAMEAgMDBAEBBgMAAQIGBQIDBgQCAwQCAAICBAMCAwQDAQEGBAACAgQDAgIEBgEBBAMCAwQCAAEDBgUCAgQDAgUEAwEBBAMAAQMEAgIDBAMDBAEAAgIEAwYCAgQGAgUEAwIGBAMAAgEEBgIABAQCAgQGAAEHBAMCBQMDAgYEBQABAgQFAwQBAgIGBQABAgQEAgcEBQ==
*I've added one more
AkJzwftpORAABwEACFBsYXllciAxAAhQbGF5ZXIgMgEBAwIAAQEEAgEBBAMAAQMDBAICBgUAAQIFBgIDAwQAAgIEAwICBAMAAQQDBQIDAwQCAgMDAAIBAwUCAgMCBgEBBgMCAgMDAgIDBQYBAQYDBgEEBgMCAwYFBgICBgICAgMDAQEGBQACAgMDAQIEAwICBAUAAQEGBAACBAYFAgMGBQIBBAMAAQMGBQIDBAMCAwQDAgMDAgABAQMFAgEEAwECAwYCBQMCAAEHBgMCAwYFAgMEAwACAQYFAQgEBQIGBAMAAQgGBgIEBAUAAgEGBQICBgUCBgMEAAIEBAMGAgQDBAIDBgQCAgMEAAEJAwQCBgYFAgUDBAABBwYFAgQDBAIDBgQAAgUDBAEBBAYCAQQGAAIDAwQCBAMEAAIFBgMBAgMEAAIEAwQCBAMEBgIDAwQCBAMEAgQDBAACBgYFAgYEAgICBgUCAgYFAAEJBgUCBAQDAwYBAAEDAwMCBgQEAgMDBAACBAQFAQEGAwABCQQDAgUEAwIGBAUAAgMEBAIEBAU
Last edited by Deo on April 24th, 2013, 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Spoiler:
take that ! :mrgreen:
The_Afterman

Post by The_Afterman »

Free

SuperTuxKart - Kart Racing
Red Eclipse - FPS
Assault Cube - FPS
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - Roguelike RPG
Aeon of Storms(StarCraft 2 in-game mod) - MOBA

Commercial

StarCraft 2 - RTS
Team Fortress 2 - FPS
Torchlight 2 - Action RPG
Dragon Nest - MMORPG
The Binding of Isaac - Roguelike Action Shooter
Super Meat Boy - Platformer
Poker Night at the Inventory & Poker Night 2 - Poker Card Game Sim
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

for those of you interested, the game is starting in 20 min. You can even observe games,funny thing :) http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/608778
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

The_Afterman wrote: Team Fortress 2 - FPS
No! Really, how can people play this game is beyond my imagination. When it went "free" I thought I'd give it a try, and I got killed by a guy who BOUGHT a better (read: op) weapon and after dying I had to watch a damn ad of that weapon. "N00bkilzor killed you with a super-duper laser chaingun deluxe! You can buy it now for only 19.99$!", or "Did you know? The elite nuclear rocket launcher deals 20 times more damage than the standard one! It's available for as little as 14.99$!". This game, together with health regeneration games killed fps gaming.
Fact: in TF2 people spend actual money so their character can wear a funny hat :roll:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Dunno wrote:
The_Afterman wrote: Team Fortress 2 - FPS
No! Really, how can people play this game is beyond my imagination. When it went "free" I thought I'd give it a try, and I got killed by a guy who BOUGHT a better (read: op) weapon and after dying I had to watch a damn ad of that weapon. "N00bkilzor killed you with a super-duper laser chaingun deluxe! You can buy it now for only 19.99$!", or "Did you know? The elite nuclear rocket launcher deals 20 times more damage than the standard one! It's available for as little as 14.99$!". This game, together with health regeneration games killed fps gaming.
Fact: in TF2 people spend actual money so their character can wear a funny hat :roll:
What I really hate is the fact I purchased the game back in 2008 for €25 only to see it go free-to-play a couple of years or so later. My compensation? A crappy in-game hat that has since been copied.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
currios

Post by currios »

Yeah that is alway a problem when commercial games turn to free2play. The people who bought the game should get something ingame for their money.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

just bought crusader kings II gold for PC after testing it for some weeks. theres a demo for those interested. here some more lines abotu the game: http://www.lddr.pl/games/725-ladder-ldd ... r#comments
Screenshot
Hyrax

Post by Hyrax »

For RPG TBS fans:

The old Jagged Alliance series is getting a worthy successor (totally different from BIA). Here is the kickstarter for it:

Jagged Alliance: Flashback
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/207 ... -flashback

If you pledge at least 5$, you get the old JA titles: Jagged Alliance, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, Jagged Alliance 2, JAgged Alliance: Unfinished Business.
Good deal in my opinion.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i just tried neverwinter nights! the upgrade system and other such meta stuff is really nice but the combat at the heart of the game is very unfun.