Impossibly hardcore characters (outside Wesnoth)

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Impossibly hardcore characters (outside Wesnoth)

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Ever played one of those RPGs where there seems to be no limit on how hardcore your character can get and either because you're lost somewhere in ye olde queste or because you just felt like it you built up your character and just kept building him/her up?

Please post:
name
level/class/rank/job/race details
game
stats (if you can remember)
specials -including itmes, skills and the like

Which games are best for getting impossilby hardcore characters (IHCs) in and why?

<characters who became that hardcore because you cheated or edited the code don't count, but ones who got that hardcore because of a bug do>
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Impossibly hardcore characters (outside Wesnoth)

Post by Velensk »

Not one of mine nor a particuarly rediculas example, but I was rather amused by the Final Fantasy Tactics Character I saw that took out all eight lvl 99 enemies on the map with one move and no charge time nor delay.

Not sure anything about specific stats/equipment but it was a wizard with math magic as a secondary. The Move was Lvl3Flare.

Of course the ability to take out eight enemies at once isn't going to be very impressive compared to whatever else gets brought up in this thread but it's quite impressive in the context of the game.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
johndh

Post by johndh »

I remember having a ridiculously high-level character in Morrowind once, but there are so many exploits that it's pretty easy to do, especially with alchemy and stealth, or just put on some armor, go near some mud crabs, and go grab a sandwich or something while they level up your armor skills.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I used to play a game called "Realmz", which had some rather unusual character races, although AFAIK it had fairly normal D20 stats. Anyways, there was a stat called "magic resistance", which gave a chance any time magic was cast at you, that you'd completely negate it (and not just spells, but many attacks and traps were flagged as such). Most human/orc/etc characters had this at something like 0-5%. But if you played as a pixie, and made that pixie the most hardcore pure-spellcasting class, it'd have something like 50-60%. :shock: Not only that, but the ... uh, character stats would be a little ... skewed. Rather than the human stats of ~100hp, 150mp for that class at that level, it had something like .... 10hp, and 900mp.

The thing that made this fun was, there was a concept, when you cast a spell, of power-level. You could cast the same spell, but put up to 7x more mana into it. The effect of this varied radically between spells - some spells would give you more targets, other spells (especially "damage everything in a line") more range, other spells more duration, and finally, some spells would respond to this with the most obvious tack of just multiplying the damage. :twisted:

There were some battles in the game where you'd fight this "weenie swarm", which not only was big, but would call in reinforcements every few rounds (and potentially last forever if the reinforcements came at a higher rate than you were killing them off. Our little superfairy could use one of the very expensive "damage everyone in the battle for a small amount" spells, and do the otherwise impossible act of turning it all the way to power level 7 (which would cost something like 400 mana) and killing the entire horde in one round.

:geek: Needless to say this game had some enormous balance issues, but exploiting it like that was most of the short-lived fun of it.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Midnight_Carnival

I also never really got any characters in anything so far.
And my Morowind disk died before I could get anywhere :cry:
But in an earlier game in the Elder Scrolls series, that is Arena, I had a Dark Elven Spellsword (a warrior who can do magic but can't wear heavy armor) called Cocytus. I used the spell-maker to give him some horrific spells, and boosted his intelegence and other things related to magical abilities whenever he went up a level. He ended up with this spell which let him abosrb spells and turn them into mana, then if I was running low I just cast an area-damage spell close enough to hurt me and it did so much damage that it recharged my mana fully. He also had these really hardcore shield spells making him almost imune to physical damage, not that it mattered, because his ebony warhammer sorted most things out nicely. Anyway, I got stuck somewhere in the game and gave up because there was nothing that could touch him, but I couldn't get further in the game.

These days I mostly play ADOM obsessively, yet to generate an IHC thought.
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

I've always enjoyed playing Morrowind in general, although things just go all the more smoothly if sneakiness is maxed out. Damn Cliff Racers!

As for overkill, perhaps my character in Fable (the first one) comes the nearest:

Sabre, a cross between Tom Bombadil and Rhinoceros. Fully ensconced in the neutral grey heavy armour, but instead of a helmet he sported his tramp beard and a fisherman's hat. I don't remember the heaviest fish he caught, but it was quite a ridiculous catch.
Maxed out 'slow time' and 'multi-strike' with Avo's sword-type-thing (it was a while ago), Jack of Blades didn't last 15 seconds I'm proud to say!
Aura

Post by Aura »

In Neverwinter Nights my two signature characters are pretty overpowered. I have a female Rogue (Arya Moonstar) and a male Ranger (Kargan Hawkbow) for when different user modules call for different gendered characters.

The Rogue has stun on her blades and can sneak attack for over 250 damage. Her Hide etc skills are so high she can be being chased by a foe, hide mid-flight, and then the foe can't detect her again. The Ranger has the Point-Blank Shot power to shoot into melee, and lots of random arrow types (freeze, burn, life drain etc) for fighting different monsters. He can kill 90% of monsters (not stuff like ancient dragons and balors) before they even reach him in melee. I also have lower level versions of the characters without all the crazy feats and equipment to play lower leveled user modules.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Have you ever looked at some of the epic builds that were created for NWN? Some of them are pretty... epic :P

http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark/character_builds.html

I especially like the Exalted Sorceress and Dwarven Wall :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
norbert

Post by norbert »

Jetrel wrote:   ▲
▲ ▲
Since this is the off-topic forum... :P
auto-triforce.sh

Code: Select all

# auto-triforce.sh
# Version: 1.0 (July 20th, 2010)
# Copyright (C) 2010 Norbert de Jonge
#
# This code is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU GPL 3, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# Also usable, but tiresome:
# xmodmap -e "keycode 96 = filledtribulletup"
# xmodmap -e "keycode 95 = nobreakspace"
#
# Only tested on Debian GNU/Linux.

function nobreakspace {
	for (( c=1; c<=$1; c++ ))
	do
		xdotool keydown shift
		xdotool keydown ctrl
		xdotool key u
		xdotool keyup shift
		xdotool keyup ctrl
		xdotool key a
		xdotool key 0
		xdotool key space
	done
}

function filledtribulletup {
	for (( d=1; d<=$1; d++ ))
	do
		nobreakspace 3
		xdotool keydown shift
		xdotool keydown ctrl
		xdotool key u
		xdotool keyup shift
		xdotool keyup ctrl
		xdotool key 2
		xdotool key 5
		xdotool key b
		xdotool key 2
		xdotool key space
	done
}

function addtriup {
	for (( e=1; e<=$1; e++ ))
	do
		number=$[$1-$e]
		number2=$[3*$number]
		nobreakspace number2
		filledtribulletup $e
		xdotool key Return
	done
}

function addtridown {
	for (( e=$1; e>=1; e-- ))
	do
		number=$[$1-$e]
		number2=$[3*$number]
		nobreakspace number2
		filledtribulletup $e
		xdotool key Return
	done
}

if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
	echo
	echo "Usage: `basename $0` <tri height>"
	echo "For example: `basename $0` 5"
	echo
	echo "NOTE: Give the \"Comment\" field at http://boards.4chan.org/b/ focus first!"
	echo
	exit 1
fi

windowid=`xdotool search --title "/b/ - Random"`
xdotool windowactivate $windowid
sleep 1
addtriup $1
McKeu

Post by McKeu »

Well, i think in nearly all Computer RPGs it's possible to create invincible characters.
I used to have a pen & paper AD&D character who got ... like... pretty awesome, and in nearly all PC RPGs I play i create a character similar to him.

Alec "The Hand"

Warrior/Rogue... later became kind of a Shadow Dancer
Level he was somewhat in the 40s.
Had two magic swords, one of it kept the soul of his girl friend after he had to kill her cause she was turned into a banshee. He lost his mind after the battle and only due to the help of an undead bard who found him strolling through the Barovian woods he became kinda like normal again. An armor, woven of the Barovian shadows, now kept his mind in the body by force. Since then he can only take of his armor for short periods of time or else he will go crazy again. But the armor increases his affinity with shadows, so he can get near invisible in shadows, teleport from shadow to shadow and even command minor shadows.
The last times i played him in p&p he was so powerful he could strike down a whole group of foes with the blink of an eye. The first foes would die even before they notice him and the rest he would finish off with his two-weapon style.
I played this pen & paper character for years with a group of friends in epic campaigns but in the end it started to get boring having so overpowered characters, so we decided to start new. So that was the end of my character :wink:

EDIT: At the moment I am having fun playing him in "Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion"
Midnight_Carnival

Alec "The Hand"

Warrior/Rogue... later became kind of a Shadow Dancer
Level he was somewhat in the 40s.
Had two magic swords, one of it kept the soul of his girl friend after he had to kill her cause she was turned into a banshee. He lost his mind after the battle and only due to the help of an undead bard who found him strolling through the Barovian woods he became kinda like normal again. An armor, woven of the Barovian shadows, now kept his mind in the body by force. Since then he can only take of his armor for short periods of time or else he will go crazy again. But the armor increases his affinity with shadows, so he can get near invisible in shadows, teleport from shadow to shadow and even command minor shadows.
The last times i played him in p&p he was so powerful he could strike down a whole group of foes with the blink of an eye. The first foes would die even before they notice him and the rest he would finish off with his two-weapon style.
I played this pen & paper character for years with a group of friends in epic campaigns but in the end it started to get boring having so overpowered characters, so we decided to start new. So that was the end of my character
-Bah, my pencil and paper (Elvish Hunter turned Sage) Wormwood could leave him looking like a pincushion... But I suppose I cheated by writing the pencil and paper RPG myself so...
meowreka

Post by meowreka »

disgaea
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Trilby wrote:I've always enjoyed playing Morrowind in general, although things just go all the more smoothly if sneakiness is maxed out. Damn Cliff Racers!

As for overkill, perhaps my character in Fable (the first one) comes the nearest:

Sabre, a cross between Tom Bombadil and Rhinoceros. Fully ensconced in the neutral gray heavy armour, but instead of a helmet he sported his tramp beard and a fisherman's hat. I don't remember the heaviest fish he caught, but it was quite a ridiculous catch.
Maxed out 'slow time' and 'multi-strike' with Avo's sword-type-thing (it was a while ago), Jack of Blades didn't last 15 seconds I'm proud to say!
Sounds familiar: mine's a "Legendary Will User called Sabre" (FYI, Will is the Fable equivalent of magic). He's perfectly good, has 'Avo's sword-type-thing' (which is called 'Avo's Tear', BTW) and Physique, Toughness, Health, Slow Time (Which is the best way to kill Trolls) and Enflame maxed out. Killed the ultimate boss (ie Jack in Dragon form) in mere minutes. Rather Bad-ass, I think.

(PS: I have the white 'Devil' Helm. Better than a pimp's hat.)

PPS: meowreka, I suppose you disagree with someone. More info (on what topic do you disagree, for example,) would be welcome.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I think he's talking about the game.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

It's a one word reply that happens to be the name of a tbs game thing. It's not really specific enough to have meaning that pertains to this thread, and might possibly be an attempt to spam or troll. Let's move on >.>