Where did you get your username from?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sur.nhm

Re: Where did you get your username from?

Post by sur.nhm »

My username is my name, typed in English (ie I typed it in Hebrew with the computer set to 'English'); I often use the nick "ThreeWaysOfTheGem" (especially in BfW multiplayer :D ) which is my name's translation to japanese. I also use 'Desdendelle', which, like 'AtemTheLightning' comes from YuGiOh (Which I used to play): there's a card called 'Des Dendle'.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

hhyloc wrote:Mine is the most boring in the entire universe: 'hhyloc' stand for 'Huỳnh Yên Lộc'
'

Someone at my church has that name! (It's a VAC)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I made mine up for my captain in The High Seas like two years ago. I made up a whole awesome story about "Captain Wrathbow" too, and eventually ended up using the name for all my online/elsewhere nicknames/etc.
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

I don't know what I used before I came up with this one, but I began using this one a while back. It was for a cheesy little online game called AdventureQuest. I actually had several accounts 'cause I didn't want to delete characters, but the first character I had any success with was on my 10th account, called styles1005. I've used the name ever since.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

When I first joined an online forum way back about 10 years ago now, I had a copy of the then-new version of Space Invaders on the floor by the computer. I always struggled, otherwise, coming up with names, so I used that, and have continued to do so since. The anal-ness about spelling (all one word, no capital letters) came about more or les by accident - lot of places have 15-character limits, an without spaces it's 15 characters, and I don't like CamelCase.

Nowadays, it's more or less my name. I wouldn't be surprised if i would respond to it IRL (save for the fact that the fora i'm active in tend not to address me by name that often any more).

Usually (with one mildly irksome exception, since I wouldn't mind a livejournal account, and the name is taken by someone with one post) I'll use the same name wherever I go, and the same avatar, more usually animated. If you see both together, it's more than likely me.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ParadiseCity

Post by ParadiseCity »

I'm a fan of rock music, and at the time I signed up for the forums, Paradise City (by Guns and Roses) was my favorite song.

It's actually a nice name because if someone recognizes it I know that they like good music :wink:.
"The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -Thomas Jefferson
Sir_Koi

Post by Sir_Koi »

Well my first name starts with a 'K' but mainly because it's 9 letters long it's impractical as a username not to mention weird having strangers call you by your first name. Since I love most of Japanese culture I thought of using a reference to something from there. So I've been going around with "K0I" (variations including K0IFish for places needing 6 or more characters or if K0I is taken which is rarely the case), which is short and easy to remember/say*, for several years. Wesnoth was one of those sites/games which need more than 3 letters so instead of defaulting to 'K0IFish' I stuck with the Wesnoth theme and plunked "Sir_" in front of it seeing as I loved Loyalist horsemen/cavalry I decided to go with that.

But I've (had) a habit of changing usernames if possible, often mimicking a character from a series I'm reading/watching/playing such as on Steam or MSN.
Spoiler:
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Last edited by wayfarer on July 12th, 2010, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I started using “shadowm” for a while, but I eventually switched to “Shadow Master” around the same time I created game concepts around that name. I continued to use this username until I realized that it's very common in the net, so I decided to keep “ShikadiLord” as a fall-back.

I ended up nicknaming the final boss of my only completed campaign after my own username, before I started to regret my silly decision of adding “Master” to it.

My original username here was “Shadow Master”, too, and later “Shadow_Master” for compatibility with the MP server. I later switched to “shadowmaster” as it's more similar to the original and I also got used to Unix-style naming schemes, with all letters lowercase. I also figured that it looked less pretentious on IRC. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Hulavuta wrote:
hhyloc wrote:Mine is the most boring in the entire universe: 'hhyloc' stand for 'Huỳnh Yên Lộc'
'

Someone at my church has that name! (It's a VAC)
Really!? :shock: But my name is a Vietnamese' name.
BTW, What is a VAC ?
R.I.P
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

VAC=Vietnamese Alliance Church

(I'm Vietnamese too)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I know that "master" and "lord" etc... are normally taken on forums, I wanted a name that reflected my character. I thought of calling myself banannalunch or binky_and_the_flying_cows, but M_C just seemed better.

I was inspired by the Carnival Night stage in Sonic and Knuckels, particularly that bit where all the lights go down.

For Grey_Area, I got the name from a spaceship in an Ian M Banks story, it had an interesting nickname.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Hulavuta wrote:VAC=Vietnamese Alliance Church

(I'm Vietnamese too)
Ahhh. Chào đồng hương! :D

(I don't think you understand, but I'd like to say it anyway.) :P

Edit: I read your user page before, I'm pretty sure that you are Vietnamese. Now I know I was right.
R.I.P
boru

Post by boru »

Not sure if anyone's interested in mine, you can skip to the next if you want.

The name Boru comes from a eleventh century Irish King. It was a name that stuck in my head and when I was looking for a name for a recently-adopted adult cat, he responded directly when I called him "Brian Boru." I guess that was in the mid-90's and I finally had enough cash to buy a computer and I joked that my cat had already set up his own email account. Anyway I used the name boru on everything having to do with the internet, including a scenario I wrote for the shareware game Realmz.

I first read about King Brian in the novel Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn. About ten years back I got to meet her and asked her to sign my copy of the novel. She asked what I wanted her to write down besides just her name. I didn't know what to say so I told her to write, "I've always admired you." She laughed, and then she wrote: To John, With great affection and happy memories of a wonderful night.

At the time I found out she was also using the name boru in her email address, so when I go online somewhere and the name is taken, it might just be her.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I've always been into literature. Poems, books , theatre and stuff even as a child. Since a few years I've been writing myself and my first character with which I could relate myself with was Gwynnedrion. I mostly short it out to Gwynned. HE's name is actually a Welsh province and unaware of this I let him -in the story- be born in Wales. However, I think it's a good name :) Before him, I used to sign in with Baldric.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)