Wesnoth IRL

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lx_121

Wesnoth IRL

Post by Lx_121 »

Starting a new thread, for users to post/upload anything Wesnoth-related that's "In Real Life"; like larping/cosplay/meet-ups/etc.

There didn't seem to be a topic for this, & there probably should be.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've also been playing with Wesnoth merchandising: http://zazzle.com/relicsofwesnoth* http://cafepress.com/relicsofwesnoth

It would be crass to start a topic just to promote this (the eventually we might want to have a topic for the general subject of wesnoth paraphernalia); but if anyone ever happens to actually buy any of the designs (or see them in-use), it might be fun to have a place to post such things.

Any other instances of Wesnoth designs would be cool to see as well

:)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Wesnoth IRL

Post by Gambit »

Lx_121 wrote:cosplay
No.
Costumes leads to plays leads to fan art leads to comics leads to Lisar getting raped by octopodes.
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

:lol2: not your kind of thing?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Aside from stuff like FOSDEM, I don't think there are many of us who translate our wesnoth offline that much.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

hm...

well i was thinking more about the end-users than the developers/inner community. Give it some time & i'm sure there will be hordes of fans, dresses as orcs & elves; ready to loot, pillage, & generally rampage on the convention circuit!

& they shall be called:

...wes-heds?

:shock:

i think some of my button designs are turning out ok, now anyway; zazzle has MUCH better tools for fine-tuning placement, among other things. what's up on your end?
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

See: the Wesnoth humans, orcs, dwarves and elves are not much different from generic fantasy humans, orcs, dwarves and elves. So I don't see much point in costuming wesnoth-like in difference to other, more established life role playing systems.

You won't do a real life battle on Wesnoth rules (turn based, hex based, RNG), would you?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

You know, when I carry around our labs biggest flash column over my shoulder, I kind of look like a rather tall Dwarvish Dragonguard (well, at least gesture-wise).... Is this what you mean? Can post pic if I bring in my cam one day.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I personally consider spending hours playing and making content for Wesnoth to be more than enough. I also agree with pauxlo that if you wanted to do that kind of thing that you'd probably be better off working with a different setting.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't know anything about the convention circuit, so I can't say if that is a good idea or not. I just wanted to say that if there is money to be had from the end users, I'd hope it went back into the project for servers or the Art Scholarship or something like that.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

pauxlo wrote:See: the Wesnoth humans, orcs, dwarves and elves are not much different from generic fantasy humans, orcs, dwarves and elves. So I don't see much point in costuming wesnoth-like in difference to other, more established life role playing systems.

You won't do a real life battle on Wesnoth rules (turn based, hex based, RNG), would you?
Well, there is one possible key difference: Place a hex shaped mat/cardboard on the floor, preferably with terrain artwork printed on it (a favorable terrain to character your trying to portrait, of course :D) and then stand on it. :lol2:

Anyway, Wesnoth doesn't seem like the kind of game that would get players going this far. :P
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

well;

there are fans for ''everything'' these days, & wesnoth does have its own set(s) of unique references. i do agreed that most of the people on here are developer-oriented rather than end-users; if we ever get a real "wesnoth-central" for gamers/fans, then this topic would fit nicely in there. i just put it here, because there didn't seem to be anyplace else...

as for intended content; anything wesnoth-ish ..ian? even people paying the game in gatherings, or juxtaposed against interesting settings could be fun to see, if the pic is good. & if anybody actually buys a button, i definitely want to see a customer photo!

:lol2:

hahaha! @ hex-larping/cosplay

as re: sales/profits

FULL DISCLOSURE

no sales as of yet, really still just setting up; this is very much a part-time side-effort, even as measured against my wesnoth-budgetted time.

also, i haven't really done any significant promotion, just a few stray mentions here & there; open to ideas on that, too...

the main intended purpose is to have fun with the designs & maybe promote wesnoth a little (like i said above, pictures of anything wesnoth against a real-world setting would be kinda fun to see)

the minimum profit setting @ zazzle is 10%; if it were possible to go non-profit i'd do that, at least unless there were enough sales to justify the bookkeeping.

on a small round button ($US 1.45), my total profit would be 15 cents...

if i ever manage to sell any, i'll be happy to share the profits with the project and/or artists (50/50 or 33/33/33?); if sales do well, we might be able to afford coffee & donuts, tho we might have to cut up the donuts.

;)

if sales ever do start to add up, i'll also post a report on the forum here (someplace appropriate?) at regular intervals

ONE QUESTION: is there anywhere i can find the names of the artists for EACH of the specific images i'm using, WITHOUT having to dig thru an insane amount of data to get the info i need? (doesn't seem to be in image meta tags, or in a credit file in the game)

i'd really like to be able to give each artist a name credit in the write-ups, but i can't make a career out of trying to identify who did which pieces.

>__<
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

There is the portrait credits file, which is called ARTISTS, and is in data>core>images>portraits in your game data.

At some point, I'm hoping to bring some form of official wesnoth merch store online. But it'll be a long way in the future at the moment.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Hasn't this been done before? I seem to recall seeing a "Battle for Wesnoth Store!!!" link in someone's signature... :hmm:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Hasn't this been done before? I seem to recall seeing a "Battle for Wesnoth Store!!!" link in someone's signature... :hmm:
fmunoz [sic]
Yoyobuae wrote:Anyway, Wesnoth doesn't seem like the kind of game that would get players going this far.
Seconded.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

i've seen his work (fmunoz) both on here & @ store.

he's quite a good artist, but he never really did anything with the store except a few shirts with some of his early wesnoth art, years ago; no recent updates there as far as i could tell.

again; not that i'm expecting much out of it, but i'm doing button/magnets atm & with a wider range of images, new ones added ongoing.

if anyone wants to buy some wesnoth "bling" i think they'd be more likely to get a button for a couple of bucks, rather than spending $20+ on a t-shirt

:lol2: