Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Giager

Re: Books discussion

Post by Giager »

I`m reading at the moment "Guards! Guards!" by Terry Pratchett.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Currently reading "Nephilim" by L.A. Marzulli. It's essentially an alien-invasion-meets-archeological-discovery story, but with Biblical foundations. As someone who's been quite taken with anything to do with the antediluvian period (the world preceding the Great Flood), I'm finding it completely absorbing!

My next read will probably be "Play Dead" by Ted Dekker. It just released yesterday and I love his work. Plus, it's about time he wrote another psychological thriller (and it's high time I read another one too!)
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Jefferyk2

Post by Jefferyk2 »

Chief_Chasso wrote: March 13th, 2013, 1:06 am I just finished Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (1922). It takes place in 1920, in a fictional mid-western city in America, (during prohibition, the roaring twenties, etc). It's basically about this opportunistic realtor/businessman struggling to find meaning in his life. You might think you'd hate this guy, but he's actually an enjoyable character. However, this book is not for everybody, since it has no real plot (similar to Catcher in the Rye, I guess. But is that reason enough to discredit any book?). But anyway, it's a good character study and there is decent dialogue throughout.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Babbitt! It sounds like a fascinating glimpse into the 1920s, and I appreciate your take on the protagonist. Character studies can be really compelling, even without a traditional plot. I'll definitely consider giving it a read for the dialogue and character depth. Any other book recommendations with a similar vibe?
Jamevolkens

Post by Jamevolkens »

Nice choice! Terry Pratchett's "Guards! Guards!" is such a classic with its humor and clever satire. His Discworld series is full of gems. If you're ever looking for more reads to dive into, you might find some great suggestions over at bookwormera.com.