Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Icarusvogel

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Icarusvogel »

King_Elendil wrote:I'm a huge Tolkien fan :D , and I've read The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings.
At the moment, I'm trying to read the LOTR trilogy; only on the early part of book one now. Don't know if I'll do it or not.
If you like the movies, you'll love the books. If you haven't seen the movies, you just have to get them because (at least for me) it helped put a face on every character.
Right now I'm re-reading the Hobbit (can't wait for the movies), and after that I'm gonna read The Book of Lost Tales, parts 1&2.
I've read all of them too. Except the Silmarillion. That I'm reading right now.
Tolkien really is one of the best...

After finishing Otherland I, I went down to the bookshop to order Otherland II. That says for itself what I think of it, doesn't it?

The sterotype Wesnoth player seems to like LotR. :D
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
oberon

Post by oberon »

Do the Tolkien fans here like his other stuff? There is less of it, but stories like Smith of Wooten Major, Farmer Giles of Ham, and The Tree and The Leaf, are certainly worth reading and there are a few translations and other things as well - and that is just the fiction.
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

Ive never read a single bit of Tolkien I didn't like-Unfinished Tales and the Histories of Middle-Earth are good ones too
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

oberon wrote:Do the Tolkien fans here like his other stuff? There is less of it, but stories like Smith of Wooten Major, Farmer Giles of Ham, and The Tree and The Leaf, are certainly worth reading and there are a few translations and other things as well - and that is just the fiction.
I've always thought about getting the stuff advertised in the back of my Silmarillion copy. But I will get the original, English versions - since the "new" German LotR translation, I'm being a bit more careful on that field.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Asterix in Corsica

I found it ....inspiring.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

Did it inspire you to run around an whack Romans?

The first and second books from Tad Williams' Otherland series were quite good... with one change from I to II that I do not understand. :?
MDG

Post by MDG »

Icarusvogel wrote:The first and second books from Tad Williams' Otherland series were quite good... with one change from I to II that I do not understand. :?
What was it? I read all four years ago, might remember if it gets explained later on...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The main thing I remember about reading asterix and obleix was that I always felt sorry for the roman legionaries most of whom really never deserved the beatings they'd invariably get.

To be on topic, I've been reading the Vatta's War series by Elisibeth Moon. I'd say that it is better than the average military Sci Fi I've tried though at least a couple of the wacko space societies they've sent at me seem a bit far fetched.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Doing research on late antiquity module for ancient cultures, the fall of Rome, trying to read all six volumes of the decline and fall of the roman empire
-which should explain why I found Asterix so inspiring.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

ancient cultures?
accurate, entertaining history?
rome?

this is what you have been looking for all your life:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Last-Year ... 700&sr=8-3

Tom Holland - Rubicon

highly recommendable
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

The next Skulduggery Pleasant book is out! YAY! :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

Skullduggery Pleasant?
*rushes off to Wikipedia to find out what that is*
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

A Thousand Sons by Graham MacNeil.

These days I really value the escapism provided by 8-foot super soldiers beating the tar out of each other.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Currently reading 'Band of Brothers' by Stephen E. Ambrose. A book about E company, 506th regiment, 101st airborne. (Paratroopers). Pretty educational. :wink:
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

thespaceinvader wrote:A Thousand Sons by Graham MacNeil.

These days I really value the escapism provided by 8-foot super soldiers beating the tar out of each other.
All the Horus Heresy books are good. So are most of the Black Library ones, in fact. Yes, I play Warhammer...
Biased? Im not biased!
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world