The User Art Topic

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Girgistian
Art Contributor

Re: The User Art Topic

Post by Girgistian »

For the dark gods!
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Ha, Ha, nice. :) You drew the basic design for the Tattoo artist?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

So I did, and a few asymmetries aside, I'm very pleased with the result :D
For the dark gods!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Tsk, tsk, you should have posted it here before for criticism. :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Tsk, tsk, you should have posted it here before for criticism. :P
He can do that for the other arm ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sapient wrote:He can do that for the other arm
:lol2: I had a mental image of him going into the tattoo parlor and getting asked, "Are you sure you want this?"

The reply being, "Yeah, I'm sure. The art contribs gave me some good advice and kitty and jet approved so I'm ready for it to be committed to my body. It also got 4 pages of responses so I feel that the design will be met with general public approval."
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Turuk wrote: The reply being, "Yeah, I'm sure. The art contribs gave me some good advice and kitty and jet approved so I'm ready for it to be committed to my body. It also got 4 pages of responses so I feel that the design will be met with general public approval."
Hey, OI'm sure LOADS of people ask art devs if there tatoo's are good... I mean, theres gotta be a lot of crazy people out there. 8)
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Wow, so many replies and no one's still mentioned how distracting the beard is :shock:
I'd better start posting tattoo sketches real soon then, as the other arm's up for one as soon as I get the money :P
btw, as an excuse for looking the way it does, the muscle gives it a good deal of asymmetry and it's a little fuzzy because of the applied lotion (even after shower :? )
Turuk wrote: :lol2: I had a mental image of him going into the tattoo parlor and getting asked, "Are you sure you want this?"
He did ask that. Too bad I didn't have any recommendations back then... You people need to start writing formal approvals for the next ones.
For the dark gods!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

To Whatever Tattoo Artist It May Concern,

The person carrying this note is in possession of an idea for a tattoo that has been submitted, critiqued and approved by the Wesnoth community. Not only have numerous users added input, various artists have offered paintovers and advice in order to give you the final product you see before you. Given approval by the local cat who rules over such art, we humbly submit that you may commit this artwork to his trunk.

Sincerely,

Battle for Wesnoth
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Sublime, now I just need a few signatures and I've got something to print for the summer :D
For the dark gods!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I'm trying to draw again.
Spoiler:
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Hey, it's certainly not bad at all, and there has been much worse. :)

Are you drawing to a purpose (i.e. some character or reference) or are you just drawing what comes to mind?
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

^ what he said. And it's surely a huge improvement from what I've last seen of your drawings (I think it was a footpad portrait sketch?). I like the half-comic-styled shading.

EDIT:
Started this around 11 pm and finished at dawn. Just say 'no' to sleeping!

For the dark gods!
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Girgistian wrote:^ what he said. And it's surely a huge improvement from what I've last seen of your drawings (I think it was a footpad portrait sketch?). I like the half-comic-styled shading.

EDIT:
Started this around 11 pm and finished at dawn. Just say 'no' to sleeping!

<quoted large image removed by mod>
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:x Largely unproductive past two hours, filled with fits and false starts. Trying to block out a basic shaman animation, but not overcoming "the suck" that seems to pervade our current sorceress animation (which I need to replace). The "jump + strike-as-you-fall" is something I've always wanted to animate, but have seemed to have lot of trouble getting right. I just seem to fail to capture the "bounce".

Turns out part of it was making bad assumptions about when the limbs should move (such as trying to bring both hands together -before- jumping, rather than after as you see here). The other part is I just needed MUCH more shape distortion. Only when I made this SO insanely simple, could I animate fast enough to "play around", finally overturn the bad assumptions, and make something that didn't suck.

Also, I think I'd like to practice some nice splash fx, like a good (e.g. 5-10 frame) version of what happens in this animation when the staff collides.
Attachments
shaman-blocking-test.gif
shaman-blocking-test.gif (1.04 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!