The User Art Topic

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: The User Art Topic

Post by Turuk »

:lol2:

Hilarious. Though now I am curious what was removed.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Glad I'm not the only one ^^
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Nono. I actually said "<quoted image removed by mod>" to Death. Because he quoted the image and I noticed that that was frowned upon all through this thread...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ah, right, so that someone does not have to go through a longer page full of double the images.

Well TSI is on the ball for this one. ;)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

edit: Cleaned up post.

Note: All done in MS Paint. DIDN'T USE GIMP AT ALL. :wink:

Sketch...

Fix 1...

Fix 2...

Fix 4... (Forgot to "save as" between fix 3 and 4)

Fix 5...

Comment: I still have a few things to do yet but it's nearing completion. :D
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

First things first... this thread is godly XD

Here're two wallpapers that I made today, both done with Inkscape:

1) Kind of an abstract sky with a swarm of bird-like shapes heading for the spiral in the centre. (Res. 1920x1080)
2) Very simple and ironic wallpaper. (Res. 1600x1200)

What do you think? :)
Last edited by KKSlider on July 14th, 2009, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I love humanity, but I just can't stand people"

Current project(s): Campaign - An Ordinary Adventure
Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

KKSlider wrote:What do you think? :)
That you should resize them for display in these forums. 8)

Else, nice artwork, at least the first.
Number two, well, you know that this is quite easy to reproduce by nearly anyone. ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Thumbnail'd

Eheh... in fact I made the second because I was bored and kind of angry, too :P
You know, dealing with fonts in Inkscape is nearly impossible if you don't know you to put them at a first glance...

Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

KKSlider wrote:Thumbnail'd

Eheh... in fact I made the second because I was bored and kind of angry, too :P
You know, dealing with fonts in Inkscape is nearly impossible if you don't know you to put them at a first glance...
Much better now. Thanks.

Well, I'll try to handle fonts in Inkscape tomorrow. Now I am curious how difficult this really is. :shock:
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Trust me... don't. XD
Or at least, save your work before doing it. When you render the SVG file, if there are some blank text spaces they appear black in the final image.
Use the XML editor in Inkscape to eliminate the text codes.

I'll let you try how to use them, though. Good luuuuck! :lol2:

SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I was taking a break from my avatar and I started on a new pixel art. (there isn't much done but I can at least show you my start design.) Unfortunately, I gtg to bed for now so I am not gonna make any progress tonight. (getting tired) But anyway, I plan for it to be some kinda manga/anime style guy. (probably gonna add some cool stuff here and there later on.) But, here is what I got so far...

Yea, it's not much, but I will get back to it tomorrow and continue it and post my progress. :)
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

KKSlider wrote:Trust me... don't. XD
Or at least, save your work before doing it. When you render the SVG file, if there are some blank text spaces they appear black in the final image.
Use the XML editor in Inkscape to eliminate the text codes.

I'll let you try how to use them, though. Good luuuuck! :lol2:
Phew, I should have taken your warnings seriously.
Well, after meddling with my linux to finally accept the tablet, I encountered two major problems so far:

1) I really have to get used to this new style of input device. The handling is quite... unusual to me.

2) After I made some progress on controlling this "stylus of evil" I tried my hand on Inskcape's calligraphy tool. Wanted to create a very simple stick figure... Well... it took a while to get this managed and I still think the Deathstick here is misinterpreting my commands, but the worst thing was: after saving and exporting it to a png which I could attach to the forums, the image was all black, like you stated above. (and I didn't even use the "text" tool)

So, I will have to master this instrument of Darkness then and see what I can get out of this else quite fascinating tool. Writing in Calligraphy is real fun, but not the only thing I want to do. :)
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Hmm...

I kinda screwed up the body/shirt at the top right. (which would be his left shoulder from the picture.) I might come back and fix it yet. (As with the other one I drew, (the female) I am still unsure where I am going with this yet. I might sketch out some of the body/arms/legs and add some stuff next.)

But for now, I am gonna take a break and play some wesnoth. :)
(User Page)
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Thanatos wrote:Phew, I should have taken your warnings seriously.
Well, after meddling with my linux to finally accept the tablet, I encountered two major problems so far:

1) I really have to get used to this new style of input device. The handling is quite... unusual to me.

2) After I made some progress on controlling this "stylus of evil" I tried my hand on Inskcape's calligraphy tool. Wanted to create a very simple stick figure... Well... it took a while to get this managed and I still think the Deathstick here is misinterpreting my commands, but the worst thing was: after saving and exporting it to a png which I could attach to the forums, the image was all black, like you stated above. (and I didn't even use the "text" tool)

So, I will have to master this instrument of Darkness then and see what I can get out of this else quite fascinating tool. Writing in Calligraphy is real fun, but not the only thing I want to do. :)
Haha... just think that it took me a couple of hours to finish that wallpaper of mine, not because it was hard to make but because of the Evil things stated before. Lots of swearing too that day... xD

That was a typical situation that day between me and the comp:
Me: "Ooook... so (*putting fonts*). What the...? Hey!! C'mon, what...?! Don't make a fool outta me!!"
Half an hour later
Me: "Grrrr... How the **** can I erase those things??! ****!!"

Really... Inkscape needs to be improved form this point of view, cos it's a great vector graphics editor. Handling with layers is also hard too, and it's not like Gimp at all. I found the Gimp to be a paradise... :D

Vector graphics programs like Inkscape are my favorite because you don't have to use a tablet to draw whatever you want. I use Gimp only to add fonts to some images (lol) or doing some pixel art (like my current avatar).
Speaking of pixel art, I've been watching the works of spookymagician since days ago and they're quite awesome, considerating that a pixel art image by itself needs to be built from scratch.
Cheers for that :D

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

spookymagician wrote:...

Advice on both your pieces of pixel art: you're dithering like crazy, but the dithering isn't doing you any good. What's an order of magnitude more important is to put shading in the right places, first (and shape your illustration correctly, first).

Dithering is only useful to blend between different levels of shading. If the shading isn't right to begin with, the dithering is just a waste of your time.

TBH, that's the big issue you need to tackle; you're doing a lot of busy-work that wastes a ton of time (and doesn't make your sprite better, or teach you much), when you would be better served by just the core elements of drawing.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!