Description of a Patch

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheScribe

Description of a Patch

Post by TheScribe »

What exactly is a patch? I know what it is, but I'm not quite sure as to what is allowed as a patch. Could someone explain it? Or if an page exists for this post the link. Thanks.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Description of a Patch

Post by Alarantalara »

You can submit anything that modifies the game as a patch. If you're asking for acceptance guidelines, then it depends on whoever is working on the area affected by the patch. Based on patches I've seen, those that follow the existing code style and minimize the effort on the part of the developer to review it are more likely to be accepted.

You can look at the accepted patches on gna.org for examples. You'll notice most of them fix bugs, but some generalize existing code or add minor features.

Edit: I just remembered, this page also lists things for which patches are likely to be accepted: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/EasyCoding
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

That's not quite what I meant. Thanks though.

What I was asking is is it only code that modifys the game and play itself, or is cleaning up code allowed? (for that matter, is code the only thing allowed?)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

clean-ups are accepted, and anything can come as patches (well, imagesand music are tricky, but wml,lua, code, python tools, everything else)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Art should go exclusively through an artwork development director or the Art Contributions forum, and music through Music & Sound Development.

Also, regarding code clean-ups: format clean-ups are unlikely to be accepted or count for anything; refactoring and optimization changes may be accepted depending on the circumstances and possible benefits, but they may take incredibly long to be reviewed unless there’s someone actively maintaining the targeted component.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Thanks.

P.S. How do I use a patch that wasn't commited?
lipk

Post by lipk »

svn patch /path/to/patch should do it, assuming that the patch is in standard diff format. You can also remove an applied patch with svn patch /path/to/patch --reverse-diff