web-based ?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

newbie_fr

web-based ?

Post by newbie_fr »

Hi, I'm new to Wesnoth (found it by hasard).
It is really a great game, bravo to all contributors.

So here is my "problem" (I post in this thread, don't know if it is accurate) ;

I'm planning to create a turn-based hexagonal game with Silvelight (as new release of Silverlight has greatly improved some awaiting features that permit such game to be developped now : communication, ...)
I don't plan to port or to rewrite BfW in silverlight, it is not my idea (too huge, and useless).
But, there are many things to get from BfW.

so my "questions" are quite simpler :
- do you guys, know, if there are open-source Silverlight game that are "similar" to BfW (at any development stage, even embrionary) ? (ie : heaxagonal, turn-based, tactic level only, wide range of units / races) ?
- BfW C++ sources are pretty easy to read. But lacks of documentation. are there technical design documentation or source documentation somewhere ? (I didn't find it) ; I need to find easily the basics (hexagone handling, map and layout management).
dipseydoodle

Re: web-based ?

Post by dipseydoodle »

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any documents describing how wesnoth is written if that's what you mean. I hear Silverlight is pretty good, but I'm not sure if there are any silverlight games that are like wesnoth.

I do want to ask if the game will be stand alone, if so the code may be diferent or not, say the engine is not written in java, flash etc...

Sound cool, good luck.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Indeed, there is hardly more to find than inline documentation inside the code (if there is any :P ).

Your best bet is probably to come to IRC (freenode, #wesnoth-dev) and ask for some specific topics you have in mind.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

What he said. :D
newbie_fr

Post by newbie_fr »

dipseydoodle wrote: I do want to ask if the game will be stand alone, if so the code may be diferent or not, say the engine is not written in java, flash etc...

Sound cool, good luck.
No, main idea to write a Silverlight game is only to handle multiplayer feature.
Thus following features are useless for me (mainly because they are heavy work) :
- Campaign
- map-editors
- Thus : WML
- AI
Indeed, there is hardly more to find than inline documentation inside the code (if there is any ).
Your best bet is probably to come to IRC (freenode, #wesnoth-dev) and ask for some specific topics you have in mind.
there are none (documentation inside the code).
I'll try to get IRC.
But, BfW is now pretty stable. Not sure that actual contributors knows the "how-to" and game-design things. I guess they are now much more focus on features / graphics than how to manage a hexagonal map, work with layout or such things.
But i'll try to be there.