Improved units.cgi script

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I just went to the http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi?page=frames webpage and was surprised to see all the stats for a bunch of factions that I didn't think were in the mainline compile.

Previously the units.cgi just listed official units, so this surprised me. As a developer I often use this webpage to check the most up to date stats of wesnoth units.

Recently I was trying to update the unit descriptions descriptions with special explanatory notes for special unit abilities, as Ivanovic has suggested. I wanted to see which saurian units had skirmish. I was confused to see that the saurian race on the units.cgi website was much bigger than the mainline version. Which units were official, which weren't? I had no way of telling.

So although I can understand listing custom multiplayer factions for reference, it would be nice if the custom factions were seperated from the list mainline units. Another reason why seperating the mainline units is a good idea is that as a campaign developer it's nice to be able to browse the list of mainline units that I can easily add to my campaign.

Yes, I can check the unit file folder directly, but the unit file names are a bit hard to read, and the whole point of the units.cgi webpage is to make the wesnoth unit stats easier to browse. So for the sake of campaign writers and developers in general I'd love it if you could seperate official and unofficial units.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

quartex wrote: Recently I was trying to update the unit descriptions descriptions with special explanatory notes for special unit abilities, as Ivanovic has suggested. I wanted to see which saurian units had skirmish. I was confused to see that the saurian race on the units.cgi website was much bigger than the mainline version. Which units were official, which weren't? I had no way of telling.
There is a 'campaign' checkbox that (when enabled) tells you where the unit is from.
quartex wrote: So although I can understand listing custom multiplayer factions for reference, it would be nice if the custom factions were seperated from the list mainline units.
Only mainline units are supposed to be shown by default.
quartex wrote: Yes, I can check the unit file folder directly, but the unit file names are a bit hard to read, and the whole point of the units.cgi webpage is to make the wesnoth unit stats easier to browse. So for the sake of campaign writers and developers in general I'd love it if you could seperate official and unofficial units.
I think this enhanced page is now nicer for campaign writers as you can display units only from certain campaigns and so on. Please let me know if you have still issues with this page.

Edit: You need to use the 'tree' page that you get to when you simply go to units.wesnoth.org.
I didn't check any other pages so far.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Jym wrote:
Soliton wrote: Cool, sounds all reasonable. I'll test it asap. Thanks! :)
Do you have any idea why the weapon special are not displayed ? (on my local copy, they are, I'm running 1.1.2 and the way to deal with weapon special is apparently the same since 1.0)
Weapon specials are denoted like this now:
[specials]
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}
[/specials]

There are some non-mainline units displayed (specifically from the marsh era) when only Base Units are selected. I suspect it's because they 'advanceto' mainline units, is there a way around that?

Edit: Now I re-enabled the Extended Era and it's becoming obvious there as well that unit trees are shown if some of it's units are in a selected campaign. I think a better way to handle this would be to only show a tree if all units of it are part of the selected campaigns.

When looking at the default page now that's the only annoying thing otherwise it's strictly better than the former version. Good job! :)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Soliton, thanks for the reply. I usually prefer to use this page:
http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi?page=frames

Becuase it lists the units alphabetically, instead of by race. I find it easier to navigate. You're right than the experience tree has some nice filtering options, maybe it would be possible to add the same filtering options to the frames page as well?

Also it seems that the Walking Corpse and Soulless units are still not included in the list of units. Hopefully this can be fixed eventually.
Jym

Post by Jym »

Quartex:
I'll give a look at the other pages (frame) and try to add filter there.

The WC/Soulless problem is the same as before. The multiple variations seem to make it quite hard for the script to parse the unit properly. Maybe it should be doable to have at least the basic unit (but not all the variation and their images). This is not really my priority to fix.

Soliton:
Yes, the whole advancement line is printed when a unit is displayed and this is both good and bad...

Bad for the cases you tell when a unit is displayed when it it an advancefrom a displayed unit (eg peasan in "loyalist" faction because they can advance to spearman but loyalist cannot recruit peasans...)
But it is also more or less good because it avoid propagating factions belonging all along a unit line and when displaying loyalist, you'll see the archmage even if it's not recruitable (which, I think, is good).

I guess that a propagation of factions in convert.pl could solve this problem. The "good" part mostly appearing with factions while the bad part also appear with races. I don't think there exists that much units changing race at advancement time...
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.